Western Australian BIABrewers and Events

Topic author
PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
Region: Oceania
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Re: Western Australian BIABrewers and Events

Post by PistolPatch » 5 months ago

For me, Lukas gets first place on the tastings (Brown IPA), sinkas and Lukas get second place (mulberry Belgian Trippel and Oatmeal Stout). Third place probably a red IPA that Sarah and I brewed.

Brown IPA: 300 grams /  of whirlpool hops and then another 3000 grams of dry hops :) in... :think: Well, I'm trying to work out what volume Lukas had? It was a "normal size batch" so let's assume 23L at flame-out. With those amount of hops, he probably got 18L into fermenter and 13L into the keg :lol:

Mulberry Belgian Trippel: I'm not into Belgians but this brew of sinkas, I certainly find enjoyable. The sweetness of the mulberries balanced out the phenolics (which I don't like) of the style. (I think I'm write in saying Belgian is a phenolic style?)

Oatmeal Stout: Another style I'm not that into but I enjoyed this one because it had lots to explore - silkiness, molasses, coffee etc.

Red IPA: Well, given the fact we used 500 grams less hops than Lukas :lol:, this beer is not bad. Definitely not a show winner as it won't stand out at all. It's very easy-drinking though, a bit of toffee sweetness which balances the hops. I better get sinkas to taste it as that toffee sweetness might actually be diacetyl and he's the king of diacetyl detection :)

Next Event This Friday, 6pm at The Queens in Beaufort Street, Mount Lawley.

If anyone wants to share an Uber in and back with Sarah and me, let me know.

:salute:
Pat
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Jun 2017, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

lukasfab
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by lukasfab » 5 months ago

haha a nice little catch up during the week for couple hrs tasting beers!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my Brown IPA as I personally was a bit iffy on it and somewhat expected more considering the amount of hops :)
Pat I will correct your error , 300g of dry not 3000g :argh: :lol: . Yes flame out was roughly 23l and I definitely didn't get a full 19l keg fill LOL

I think the Oatmeal Stout will get bit better with age as it only just when into the keg and not even carbed yet but yes I must investigate my temp gauge for more accurate mash temp to get more body!

I did like the nice malty backbone of your Red IPA and for sure is an easy drinker , just needs bit more hop aroma :thumbs:

Cases Mulberry Belgian was pretty nice for a style I don't really go for but the Mulberries were a nice touch.

Bring on 1st July :drink:

Topic author
PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Lukas: Received your recipe for your Brown IPA via email today. Thanks mate ;)

Also delivered everyone's show entries, except for yours. It was just too niuce to be wasted on judges so I drank them instead. Thank you :salute:

Everyone Else: This year's exhibitor tasting (next Sat, 1st July, 12-5pm) is in a totally different part of the showground. In fact, it's basically on the complete opposite side so don't come in the usual entrance, use Gate 10 (first gate on Ashton Ave from railway line). The Centenary Pavillion is a few hundred yards from the gate.

Fun Fact: The Centenary Pavillion is adjacent to the Campbell Pavillion which is one of the places I used to show people how to walk on hot coals about 20 years ago. I still have occasional 'nightmares' (seriously) of forgetting to order the wood or there being a total fire ban. Luckily, neither of those things ever happened.

:)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

lukasfab
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by lukasfab » 5 months ago

:lol: enjoy mate

so for the train goers get off at Loch St station?

Topic author
PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Thanks mate. They were very nice :yum: And Loch Street is correct :peace:

(You tested your thermometer yet?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Today's the day :yum:

We have a few spare tickets. If anyone wants one, shoot me a PM :peace:

Return to “Australia & New Zealand”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest