Electric Urn

Topic author
SacSoul
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Electric Urn

Post by SacSoul » 7 years ago

I've been looking for a large, variable temperature vessel that can handle somewhere between a 3-5 gallon BIAB session. However it appears that US consumers are not too keen on electric "urns" as they are referred to by most non-US brewers. Do any of you other US brewers have one, and if so where did you buy it (preferrably in the US so I don't pay really high shipping charges)?
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by hashie » 7 years ago

Hey SacSoul, a quick look on feebay USA found this 6.25 gallon jobbie link and only $89.90!

It does not have variable temperature, but at that price you could hook it up to a tempmate and regulate the temperature that way?
Last edited by hashie on 09 Dec 2010, 12:10, edited 5 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Topic author
SacSoul
Draft
Draft
City:

I found this one which would work great I think: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20011 ... 769&sr=8-7I'm waiting for a response from the manufacturer to see what the adjustable temperature range is and how many gallons of liquid it can hold. If all sounds good I think this will be what I have my wife get me for Xmas (especially since I won't need a 220 outlet for it). Now I'll just have to hope I also get the hot liquid pump and Hoprocket that I also want... I'm itching to give a Hoprocket a go.

My next project will be a simple submersible pump so I can reverse the way the immersion chiller works to increase effeciency and waste less water (i.e. drop immersion chiller into a bucket with water day before, freeze it, add some water the day of brewing to cover the immersion chiller, and pump the wort through the immersion chiller; if pumped slow enough should be able to directly pump into the primary kind of like a homemade in-line chiller).
Last edited by SacSoul on 09 Dec 2010, 22:35, edited 5 times in total.
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "...Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

Topic author
SacSoul
Draft
Draft
City:

Found an even better one that is 30 qts (~7.5 gal): http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Injector-El ... 528&sr=8-1

Cast iron casing and a removable, programmable heating element.

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by hashie » 7 years ago

That Turkey fryer looks the goods. Now that I have seen it I remember some others from the US talking about them a couple of years ago.

DMVBrewers
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by DMVBrewers » 6 years ago

it even has a spigot!

C-Rider
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by C-Rider » 6 years ago

Well has anyone bought one yet?

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 6 years ago

Just got my "Cajun Injector" rig delivered today! :party:

I recently built an electric 15 gallon rig but I wanted a way to continue making 2.5 gallon test batches without having to go out into the cold to use my 5 gallon pot and propane rig. Having become enamoured with electric brewing I searched Ebay for one of those Aussie-style urns to no avail. I did some further research and saw a few folks using the Cajun Injector rigs for brewing on youtube. Just my luck: between a Black Friday sale, Amazon "points" on my credit card, and an Amazon gift certificate I managed to score one for less than $40.00 (delivered to my door).

Currently I am doing tests to see how quickly it can heat 5 gallons of water and what the boil-off rate is going to be. Stay tuned for results.....
Image Image
Last edited by thughes on 13 Dec 2011, 09:08, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

Lylo
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by Lylo » 6 years ago

I spotted these on the shelves too and it sent my spydie senses timgling,(HMM would this boil wort?).subscribed
AWOL

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

Lylo wrote:I spotted these on the shelves too and it sent my spydie senses timgling,(HMM would this boil wort?).subscribed
Short answer? No.

Long answer? How much time do you have on your hands?

I tested it with 5 gallons of water. Start temp of water was 55F and I set the temp controller to the max (400F). Lid was on. Every 15 minutes I gave it a good stir before checking the temp with a lab thermometer.

start: 55F
15 minutes: 120F
30 minutes: 146F
45 minutes: 164F
60 minutes: 175F
75 minutes: 200F (I removed the lid at this point)
90 minutes: 206F
105 minutes: 211F
120 minutes: 212F (but not boiling yet)
135 minutes: 212F (but not boiling yet, only small bubbles rising from the element)
150 minutes: 212F (but not boiling yet, only small bubbles rising from the element)
170 minutes: 212F (but not boiling yet, only small bubbles rising from the element)
190 minutes: 212F (but not boiling yet, only small bubbles rising from the element)

At this point I called it quits. The temp setting on the digital controller said 230F and it was still heating, but this is obviously not acceptable for brewing. While it can get to strike temp quickly (30 minutes or so) and can ramp to mashout temp quickly (15 minutes), the fact that it takes more than an hour (if ever) to ramp from mashout to boil kind of makes it an epic fail in my book. :nup:
Last edited by thughes on 13 Dec 2011, 10:47, edited 6 times in total.
WWBBD?

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

So, more experimenting tomorrow night. The whole reason I bought this thing is because my kitchen stove is incapable of boiling several gallons of water. (Do NOT buy an electric range with a glass/ceramic cooktop if you are a brewer!!!!)

The Cajun Injector is composed of several pieces including the immersion heater, an aluminum inner pot, and the external pot. The inner aluminum pot is removable and has a drain spigot installed. It also has a slightly rounded bottom which may not be conducive to using it as a stand-alone pot. So.......

I am going to try using the inner pot along with the immersion heater on my stovetop. If that is a no-go, I can try building and attaching some legs to stabilize it.

Option #2 is to use the immersion heater part of it in conjunction with my trusty 5 gallon aluminum pot on the stovetop and see how that works out.

I'm not beat yet, stay tuned for more......... :whistle:
WWBBD?

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by hashie » 6 years ago

Tough luck with not getting a boil.
Another option would be to have a heat stick or over the side heating element to raise and maintain the boil. It might even be more efficient than trying to use your cook top.

Good luck.

stux
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by stux » 6 years ago

How many watts do you get out of a wall plug?

We get 10A x 240V for 2400W. In the US you're on 110V right? but do you get 20A? or just 10 or 15?

Its the Watts which boils the water :(
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

hashie wrote:Tough luck with not getting a boil.
Another option would be to have a heat stick or over the side heating element to raise and maintain the boil. It might even be more efficient than trying to use your cook top.

Good luck.
Thanks Hashie. I'm sure I would have got a boil eventually it's just that I was tired and after waiting almost 2 hours for it to boil I decided it was bed time instead. As to the heat stick idea....well, the device already uses an over the side element as it's primary heater so having to stick another one in it just to get a boil would be very frustrating.
Last edited by thughes on 13 Dec 2011, 21:45, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

stux wrote:How many watts do you get out of a wall plug?

We get 10A x 240V for 2400W. In the US you're on 110V right? but do you get 20A? or just 10 or 15?

Its the Watts which boils the water :(
110V x 15 amps (1800 watts). Doing the math shows that it should take @ 1.3 hours to bring 5 gallons of water from 55F to 212F, which is close to what my testing showed. Considering that 5 gallons is a rather high starting volume for a 2.5 gallon batch, and also taking into account that it appears I won't get more than a gentle rolling boil so boil-off volume should be low, perhaps I'll give it another go with a smaller volume of water (4 gallons?).
Last edited by thughes on 13 Dec 2011, 22:15, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

joshua
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by joshua » 6 years ago

Good Day THughes, 1500watt is the Minimum power to almost boil 3.75 Gallons, so you should be just about able to boil 4.0 gallon with the Cajun Injector. Also, if the Sides of the Injector get HOT, you should Insulate them, and that heat loss will go into the boil. Just My $0.05 (inflation)
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

stux
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by stux » 6 years ago

A second heat source (ie a heat stick) would give you up to 3600W which would boil very quickly. I suspect the main element would then be able to maintain the boil

You could plug the heat stick into a different circuit using an extension cord if necessary
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

4 gallons came to a rolling boil in 1 hour and 15 minutes with the lid on. I removed the lid and the boil stopped, waiting to see how long (if at all) it comes to a boil again. :angry:
Last edited by thughes on 14 Dec 2011, 09:06, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

30 minutes later and still no boil, on to plan B. Lets see what happens if I pull the inner pot and use it on my stove:

Last edited by thughes on 14 Dec 2011, 09:36, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

Woot! Between the stove and the heating element I heated 5 gallons of water to a rolling boil in 30 minutes. Now to sew up a bag for this new pot and get to cooking up some test batches. :thumbs:
WWBBD?

Lylo
Gold
Gold
City:

What brew length are you planning on for this set up Todd?
AWOL

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

2.5 gallon into fermenter, 60-90 minute mash, 60 minute boil, immersion chiller for rapid cooling (I like no-chill but the sink is right there next to the stove so I don't need to fight with long lengths of hose, etc.). Reckon with some pre-planning I can knock a batch out in the evening after work and still get to bed before 10:00 PM.
WWBBD?

Lylo
Gold
Gold
City:

I'm liking it for winter brewing.I want to do some chocolate stouts,fruits and spiced beers,but really don't want kegs full of them. 24 to 30 bottles would be perfect.Brew on!
AWOL

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America

First brew session with this rig. I'm making a 2.5 gallon batch of Saison (Pilsner, Munich, wheat, candy sugar, Styrian Golding and Saaz) and pitching a Belgian Ale yeast and some bugs (cultured dregs from a bottle of Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvée René):

doughed in:
mashing (only lost 2 degrees F over the course of 90 minutes, no need to wrap it with a blanket):
a good rolling boil (temp on immersion heater set at 250F and stove element set at level 6 of 10):
Daddy's little helpers (Cuvee Rene dregs and vial of WLP 568 Belgian that I got for half price because it was expired....by 3 days!):
I adapted my old immersion chiller so I can use it in the kitchen sink and I bought a 3 gallon glass carboy to ferment in. I've got several 3 gallon plastic Better Bottles but decided to go with glass for this one because it will likely sit for 6 months to a year before it's really ready. More pics to follow......
Last edited by thughes on 28 Dec 2011, 09:36, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?

jimcoffey62
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by jimcoffey62 » 5 years ago

I have the exact same unit, ran the same experiment, came to the same conclusion and the same solution. I discovered a safety switch on the heating element that you need to hold down but a paperclip worked great. It holds 7.5 gallons and works fine for a standard 5 gallon batch recipe.

Question: Have you attached a hose to the spigot? I wasn't able to find anything at Home Depot that matched the threads.

But ... I decided I like using two smaller stock pots instead of this one big one because the small ones fit in my sink for easier cooling. My electric stove can easily boil two pots of 3.5 gallons each.

Return to “U.S.A.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests