I finally did my first Biab - Yay!

Jump in here once you are familiar with the site and have a few BIAB brews under your belt.

Topic author
wizard78
Gold
Gold
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

I finally did my first Biab - Yay!

Post by wizard78 » 7 years ago

Well, after a couple of months of collecting equipment, ingredients, and finally getting some spare time(which ended up being cut short :evil: ) I finally put down my first Biab :D
I brewed NRB's all Amarillo APA and I used the mini biab stovetop method with my 19L big-dub pot.
It went fairly well, I'd like to say it went great but there were some issues starting from when I scaled the recipe and scaled it wrong. I did this before the Biabrewer calculator was available.
I ended up juggling numbers in beersmith to get a Estimated final Volume of 14L @ 1058.
However.....
I think I had some efficiency problems, pre boil I got 16L @ 1051 and stupidly for got to measure volume post boil after a 60 minute boil but got an sg reading of 1055.
When I chilled in bath of cold water, due to last minute call out I don't think I let it settle enough. Although the wort was at pitching temp, when I poured it into the fermenter there was still quite a bit of trub in suspension (I did use whirfoc). I was a bit unsure of this so I think I left a fair whack of wort in the kettle. :(
So what I ended up with is 10L @ 1055 into the fermenter.
I worked out that the efficiency into the fermenter was about 49% but I think that it should be a bit higher because I'm not sure how much I left in the kettle.(This is what happens when I get rushed!)
Should I have just not worried about the trub so much? It also seemed like there was some of the whirfloc floating around(gelatin like?), will this be a problem as some made it into the fermenter?
I guess time will tell, Can't wait to get it intio the keg!! :D
01052010453.jpg
01052010454.jpg
01052010458.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wizard78 on 04 May 2010, 18:41, edited 10 times in total.
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by Ralph » 7 years ago

Hmmm, y'know it sounds like you made some beer to me! :D

Seriously that's not too bad for a first go at it, so congratulations!

There's quite a bit of trub usually, so yours is no exception. You have to be game to pour the whole lot through the sieve, but it can be done if you're prepared to take the risk and really have to squeeze every last drop out of the kettle. I'm loathe to recommend it though, just use the extra bit of wort for yeast starters is what I'd be doing, saves buying malt extract for that plus gives you some peace of mind.

Hard to say, but I suspect the gelatin- like stuff is actually cold break, the brewers who use a plate chiller get all of it in their fermenter without much hassle, so don't panic about it. Whirlfloc should dissolve but helps precipitate break.

Again, congratz on stepping up, well done! :P
Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by hashie » 7 years ago

Well done wizard and welcome to AG BIAB brewing. Easy, really, wasn't it?

don't be too concerned about trub or efficiency (this should be done on the volume post boil, not into the fermenter).

Let it ferment and then enjoy your first all grain beer. There's no looking back now!

Gavin
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

rocket58
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by rocket58 » 7 years ago

Well done mate, See its not hard at all, I agree with Hashie,Dont be too concerned at this stage, I still get varying degrees of trub and wort depending on the grain that I use(I think) :roll: It doesn't bother me as I have let sometimes more trub into the fermenter than I should have at times, But in the end it all settles in the bottom of the fermenter.. I always now whirlpool whilst chilling and then leave for 30 min to settle before emptying from the kettle or pot into the fermenter. The end result is whats important to U, I still am amazed at all my brews and I think I haven't done a bad one yet since converting from Kits to Biab..
Regards Rocket

Topic author
wizard78
Gold
Gold
City:

Thanks guys, it makes me more confident about things. :)
Another thing I thought about after I'd finished and the wort had started fermenting, is that I pitched a full packet of re-hydrated us-05 for a 10L batch. What would the effects of this be? Have I over pitched? I took a sample yesterday and it seemed to already be at FG after 4 days. It tasted good though :D.
It looks like I might have it in the keg this weekend :cool:
Cheers Brad
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

shibolet
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by shibolet » 7 years ago

i wouldn't worry about the full packet of yeast. it will settle out.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

Agree, no biggie with the full packet at all.

Also, if you think that's quick, just wait until you try 1469 or its ilk, if you're clever with an ESB it can be grain to brain in about a week! ;)

rocket58
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by rocket58 » 7 years ago

4 days ..wow...What temp did u ferment at? I'd leave for another week in the fermenter, It can't hurt..just for the yeast to clean up after itself, and the clarity of the brew should be a whole lot clearer..Rocket
Last edited by rocket58 on 06 May 2010, 20:19, edited 10 times in total.

dick
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by dick » 7 years ago

That's great Brad, well done mate. It sounds like you're on the way to the dark side.

It fascinates me that this process can be so simple (especially with BIAB)yet so complex. Yes you can make beer by steeping grain in hot water then boiling with hops but then there is so much science to what is actually happening. Then you think of the endless combinations of grain/hops/yeast/water/process variables and it's just a whole world of fun for beer geeks. So this is where it's gonna take you...

Topic author
wizard78
Gold
Gold
City:

G'day Rocket, I fermented at a steady 20deg c (chest freezer with temp control). I'll probably leave it till sunday to put in the keg, after crash chill and gelatin, that way it can carb up for the week, so it can be enjoyed on the following weekend.
dick wrote:That's great Brad, well done mate. It sounds like you're on the way to the dark side.

It fascinates me that this process can be so simple (especially with BIAB)yet so complex. Yes you can make beer by steeping grain in hot water then boiling with hops but then there is so much science to what is actually happening. Then you think of the endless combinations of grain/hops/yeast/water/process variables and it's just a whole world of fun for beer geeks. So this is where it's gonna take you...
Totally agree Dick this seems like it is about to open a great new world of beer possibilities. Can't wait to experiment with malt and hops and eventually different yeast profiles.
Cheers Brad ;)
Last edited by wizard78 on 06 May 2010, 20:35, edited 10 times in total.
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

I say get it in the keg this weekend and start enjoying it.
This is your first AG, you can dilly around with future brews, Just get this one into you!

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

hashie wrote:I say get it in the keg this weekend and start enjoying it.
This is your first AG, you can dilly around with future brews, Just get this one into you!
Now that's the sort of reasoning I like, sounds just perfect to me! :cool:

A good point too though, the first batch is just that, the first of many batches to come and they will all be different in one way or another. There's no need to be fussing over every single minor detail with the very first one, there will usually be plenty more to come. I know I fiddled about a fair bit over my first and now see that it was wasted mental energy and effort, far better to just get stuck in and try things out, do a few batches and see if you like it or what you might change.
That's the beauty of the MiniBIAB method, you can try AG out without risking the farm, even if you don't like it then all it has cost you is a batch of ingredients, a thermometer and a stockpot (both can still be used elsewhere) plus the BIAB bag. That's all trivial really, try telling spousie that you've spent hundreds of your hard- earned clams on a 3-V setup but don't actually like the beer so you'll just toss it in the garage along with all the other abandoned projects! :evil:

Again, hearty congratz Brad on kicking things off and glad it is working out for you- time to celebrate! :P

Ps. Oh, yes- that was another of my /shameless MiniBIAB plugs! :D
Last edited by Ralph on 07 May 2010, 08:09, edited 10 times in total.

Topic author
wizard78
Gold
Gold
City:

hashie wrote:I say get it in the keg this weekend and start enjoying it.
You've twisted my arm :D . I'm a bit P.O'd that my keg post poppet and iodophor I ordered didn't turn up today, Lucky I have 4 empty kegs(I'd rather them be full though :D ). I guess I'll have to go down to my LHBS and pay a bit more for some brewshield to sanitise :x .
Ralph wrote: That's all trivial really, try telling spousie that you've spent hundreds of your hard- earned clams on a 3-V setup but don't actually like the beer so you'll just toss it in the garage along with all the other abandoned projects! :evil:
SWMBO would just be happy if I could fit another thing in the garage. :lol:
Last edited by wizard78 on 07 May 2010, 20:08, edited 10 times in total.
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

Topic author
wizard78
Gold
Gold
City:

Well I finally got it kegged and sampled last night. And I must say it is 100% or more better than any of my kits and bits brewing. I am so glad I decided to go this route. How good is it, real beer with real taste, minimal outlay and low ongoing cost. I can't wait to get some more brews on the way :D :D :D
One question for you experienced all grainers, it has turned out darker than I expected, no real issue but I was wondering if that could have something to do with a low effecincy and the fact I didn't need to dilute it like I was expecting to do?
Cheers Brad ;)
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

jimmysuperlative
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by jimmysuperlative » 7 years ago

Champion effort, wiz! It is a wonderful thing to know you can make "real beer" like the beer you buy (or better). Here's to many more!

Well done, Mate! ;)
Everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag ... K Starr (1950)

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Well done wiz, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I'm guessing the colour is because you didn't dilute as planned. No biggie.

goldy
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by goldy » 7 years ago

Doing my first BIAB today, will post some more results later.

Just wanna say a quick thanks to you guys for making it all a bit easier.

Cheers
Goldy

LloydieP
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by LloydieP » 7 years ago

Atta boy goldy!!
Looking forwar to your results.

Lloydie
"Eat my sugar, man
[/u][/b]

AaronP
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by AaronP » 7 years ago

After much procrastinating, I finally did my first stovetop BIAB yesterday :D . Only a few small hiccups along the way. Either my kettle isn't as big as it's supposed to be or the jug I used to calibrate the kettle was inaccurate. Either way, I had to remove some water when I added the grain to stop it overflowing. The only other issue was me forgetting to add the oats to the mash (choc porter recipe) :oops:
Anyway, it's fermenting away this morning so with any luck I'll be drinking it before long.
I'd just like to give a sincere THANKS to everyone on this site for all your help and advice (unless the beers horrible, in which case I'll blame all of you ;) )

hashie
Gold
Gold
City:

Well done Aaron and Goldy, welcome to the world of AG brewing :)

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

Well done you guys, that's fab!

Aaron, yes, they can be optimistic when they state the volumes. Another trick when you're adding grain to the mash in the full-to-the-brim situation is, before adding the grain, to pull out a few litres temporarily (obviously not for long or it will cool down) and add it back once the grain is in. With any luck it will all go back in, if not, it should be close. You can adjust the temperature with it too if need be. Once you get a feel for your equipment it shouldn't be any hassle though.

goldy
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by goldy » 7 years ago

Ok, finally got some time & inclination to do a wrap on my first BIAB.

Mine is a 16ltr pot, so I used a minimal recipe advised from AHB, I decided to use a 12ltr boil.

I lost around 50% of the liquid after boiling & bag absorption, not sure if this is normal or not though. I topped up when going into the fermenter.

The taste of the wort was bitter as hell when I tasted during the boil< i decided to add more aroma hops to balance out a bit.

The SG was significantly down too, I added some LDME to bring it up a little, seemed like the right thing to do.

I think I will get a larger pot pretty soon, at least 50ltr.

My bag was a little small & I had some grain get into the pot behind the voile, this might or might not be a problem as well.

Anyhoo, don't want to write a novel, so I'll end here, any feedback appreciated guys. I think BIAB is a great way to brew too.

Cheers
Goldy

LloydieP
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by LloydieP » 7 years ago

Sounds like you got it sussed goldy! Check out THIS CALCUsually does taste a little bitter at first. What was your recipe?
Lloydie
Last edited by LloydieP on 20 May 2010, 23:44, edited 10 times in total.
"Eat my sugar, man
[/u][/b]

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests