Can someone explain this recipe to me in BIAB terms :)

Jump in here once you are familiar with the site and have a few BIAB brews under your belt.

Topic author
redlegger
Gold
Gold
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Can someone explain this recipe to me in BIAB terms :)

Post by redlegger » 7 years ago

Hey everyone,
Thinking of brewing this wheat style beer in the next couple of weeks, however im a bit confused at the brew process

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... recipe=453

The brew notes are as follows
"As copied from Protz and Wheelers' 'Brew Classic European beers at home'. Great beer, very similar to Schneider Weisse.<br/>Won best Wheat beer at Bitter & Twisted Festival 2007, even though still undercarb'd, with 40 points each from two BJCP-skilled judges.<br/><br/>50°C mash-in, but only for 20 min.<br/>60 minute rest at 63°C.<br/>120 min boil. Bittering hops only added for 30 min. 83% Apparent attenuation -> 5.2% alc/vol"

What the heck is mashin at 50deg for 20minutes then a 60 minute 'rest' at 63deg ?

Does it mean that i mash in at 50degrees, hold it at that temp for 20 minutes, then ramp up the temp to 63deg's for 60 minutes then boil for two hours?

Sorry if i have answered my own question, but its totally different to the BIABS i have done to date. (mostly mashing at 64-66 deg for 90min)

Cheers!
RL
Last edited by redlegger on 10 Jun 2010, 16:20, edited 10 times in total.
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Phoney
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Phoney » 7 years ago

Yes, that's right. Many brewers do a multi-step mash regime for wheat beers.

MOre info on how and why can be found here.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... opic=34744

Just make sure you constantly stir the mash when you're adding heat and ramping up the temperature from 50 - 63 so that the grain down the bottom near the heat source doesnt "cook" and release unwanted flavours. Just as you should be doing when you raise the heat to mashout @ 78.

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by Ralph » 7 years ago

This might help too? Don't worry about the detail too much, most of it does my peanut- sized head in anyway!

To achieve that particular multi- stepped mash I would actually do a decoction mash (I love 'em!), direct- heating (for urn or kettle) is another handy option for us BIABers. So is step infusion, but I'd have to really know how my equipment performs when doing that, not recommended for beginners. I can't say with any confidence I could do that with much precision, even after 50- odd batches, but would be worth a try.

I think you're on the right track though, good work! :D
Last edited by Ralph on 10 Jun 2010, 17:15, edited 10 times in total.
Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes

shibolet
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by shibolet » 7 years ago

Ralph,
I took one look at the link your posted. my head shrunk. i immediately closed the page. yikes.
I try to always do a step mash after i realized that my urn boils very quickly and i overshot my dough-in temp.
so i usually mash in at 50C than slowly ramp up to around 67 and than again to 75.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

Sorry about that shibolet! :oops: The first two paragraphs and the charts should get most of the info across. (It is a terrific resource for any brewer though, no doubt about it. Thanks Kai!)

So, you've got an in-built protein to saccharification 'rise'? How long does it take? Not long by the sounds, so the protein rest is trivial. With most ale malts a protein rest is usually counter-productive to head retention, may help to keep that in mind.
It is quite OK though, we all have quirks in our own process to suit our own circumstances and equipment, that is a given, and sometimes it takes a bit of thinking to get the most out of it all (as per the present BIABrewer banner). Otherwise this website would never have existed.

Oops, sorry, I just got all philosophical! :?

wizard78
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by wizard78 » 7 years ago

Cheers Ralph,
Being fairly new to all grain brewing and not doing any real research on the topic (I like to jump straight into things :D ), that link cleared up one of the questions I had, What is a saccrification rest? Now I know! :)
Some good info that makes a bit of sense I'm bookmarking that site.
I may have to get a brewing book to read one day :roll:
Cheers
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/i]
Homer Simpson
K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.
[/b]

Ralph
Gold
Gold
City:

No worries Brad! :)

Nb. Probably best young that one, it is a Weißbier after all. I'm quite interested by that recipe (also by the totally different style) and I'm usually a die- hard ESB fancier! Schneider make a very decent Weißbier, IMO, well worth replicating or approximating. It will most certainly benefit from a protein rest, hope it goes well!
Last edited by Ralph on 10 Jun 2010, 20:57, edited 10 times in total.

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests