Hoses

Topic author
Two If By Sea
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Hoses

Post by Two If By Sea » 7 years ago

How do you guys clean, sanitize, and store your siphon hoses? I'm always a little nervous with mine when I can see moisture in them days after I've washed and/or rinsed them. I usually stick the whole hose in sanitizer right after I transfer wort or beer then I plunge the sanitizer with my autosiphon through it a number of times. I then whip the hose around in the air and hang it up to dry. On brew day, I do the same with my cleaning solution then again with my sanitizer just before I transfer. But still I see that moisture that sits in there for days....

Also how about 1/2" diameter hoses used for blowoff? Lots of crud in there. I try to get a drip loop in my blowoff so the crud can't go back into the fermenter but still...that crud is hard to get out. I soak them in oxiclean solution for a few days and run water through them pinching all along the length until it looks clean. But with all that crud in there to begin with...I wonder.

stux
Gold
Gold
City:

Post by stux » 7 years ago

I soak my hoses, both in cleaner and sanitizer, flush with hot water then hang on a hook from their mid point. They seem to drain and dry well that way
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

outbreak
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by outbreak » 7 years ago

I have a silicone hose for transferring hot wort to the no chill cube. This gets cleaned after transferring, and cleaned before brewing, both times with sodium pre-carbonate.

My vinyl hose for racking to secondary and keg, gets soaked in cleaning solution the day before. Then when I fill my secondary up with idophor to sanitize, I firstly rinse the tube then hook the hose up to the tap and drain the idophor out through to a small bucket and into a spray bottle. I then submerge the hose in the bucket until I rack which is usually about 10 or so minutes. I think I will replace it every 5 or so brews.

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest