Repitching onto yeast cake at low temperature?

Also see Yeasts

Topic author
non.operational
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Repitching onto yeast cake at low temperature?

Post by non.operational » 3 years ago

Hello fellow Beer Nerds :geek:

Apologies if this question has come up before, but....

I am using the excellent WLP029 Kolsch yeast again, and will first be making a pale 'fruity' kolsch, then pouring new wort on the yeast cake to make a more malty, 'clean' Altbier.

I am keen to avoid the hassle and potential contamination of yeast washing. However, I was planning to drop the first Kolsch to a lager temp (~2℃) in my fermentation fridge, and would then like to dump 16℃ wort on top of the cake, for the 2nd beer.

My question is, would the change from 2 to 16℃ shock the yeast, and if so should I warm it up prior to repitching, or would this impair the effects of prior lagering (flocculation, smoothness, etc)?

Any input greatly appreciated,
Pete.

2trout
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Boiled Malt Extract (BME)
City:

Post by 2trout » 3 years ago

N.O.

So you are going to cold crash the Kolsch. Then reuse the yeast cake for the Altbier at lager fermentation temps correct?

I think you could cool the Kolsch to cold crash temp over a few days. Cool the Altbier wort to within a few degrees of your cold crash, pitch, and then over e few days warm the Fermenting Altbier to your preferred Lager Ferment temp. I ferment 50F(10C) for lagers, and then bulk lager as cold as I can when most fermentation is complete.

Trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Topic author
non.operational
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by non.operational » 3 years ago

Thanks Trout. :salute:
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking. Good advice, I will cold crash, pitch low, then warm up.
Much appreciated,
N.O.

2trout
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Boiled Malt Extract (BME)
City:

Post by 2trout » 3 years ago

N.O.,

Move your temps over 48 + hours. Slow and steady is good for the yeast!

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Lemon
Draft
Draft
Australia
Region: Oceania
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Post by Lemon » 3 years ago

I pitch onto yeast cakes for lagers, so that I have sufficient (possibly too much) yeast. I generally rack off the first lager yeast cake, originally pitched with 2 or so packets of liquid or dry yeast, then pour the fresh cooled wort on top of the remaining cake. I will only do this twice as the volume of yeast becomes unmanageable. I think that it would require washing etc to separate out unwanted material from the good yeast.
Lemon
Edit. I do this at Lager fermenting temps 10 - 12C

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests