Another STC-1000 build Chest freezer conversion

Also see Yeasts

Topic author
Weisseguy
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Another STC-1000 build Chest freezer conversion

Post by Weisseguy » 3 years ago

I have needed a fermentation chamber for the last two brews. I live in Houston and I am lucky to get my house to 75 in the summer. So I found a chest freezer and truned into a fermentation chamber

Freezer - $80
STC -$14 off ebay
Wiring and misc. $13
$107 total

I knew I did not want to use a ranco or jc because of the cost. Finally I found a video on you tube of a guy in Australia doing the same thing. Here's my attempt at it.

Aside from the dewlalt box I was pretty happy with it. I will be buying a new box soon and maybe I'll post pics of it later

I will try to explain how I did this for anyone else who may have a chest freezer like mine

TERMINAL 1 I connected a wire from this terminal to the hot wire on the original t-stat. This is shown on the first image of the t-stat a black wire with a female quick connector at the top. I knew it was hot also because the small wire also connected to the thermostat ran to a small light that indicated the unit was on or powered. I simply cut a piece of 12 g. Wire long enough to reach from the stc on the lid to the old t-stat. I Terminated one end to the stc. In the number 1 terminal. The other end received a male terminal quick connector, not yet crimped...

TERMINAL 7 I did the same thing above except I terminated it to the number 7 spot on the stc. This wire along with the number 1 wire I crimped together with a male end quick connector. So one and seven both are hot crimped together with a male connector plugged into the female quick connector as noted above.

TERMINAL 8 I did the same above, terminated into terminal 8, crimped on a male connector on the other end and connected it to the female connector on the bottom of first image.

TERMINAL 2 I cut another length of wire for my neutral wire. Then I terminated it into the number 2 terminal of my stc. In order to find the neutral wire on the freezer I simply found the main wire coming into the unit ( follow the plug into the unit). This wire happened to be ribbed ( I was taught the ribbed is always hot, but not in this case :scratch:) I cut this wire and spliced in my wire using a wire nut. I will be soldering it soon.

Finally I terminated the temp sensor into the 3,4 terminals. Tested it. Worked. Heat shrunk Connections Closed it up.

1 hot
2 neutral
3,4. Sensor
7 t-stat
8 t-stat

It really was that simple. I might change the box, since I was not prepared to install it into a box I had to improvise :sneak: . My original idea was to install the stc Into the unit wall. And it was going to be flush and clean looking. But soon I realized this would not work well since my original t- stat was mounted on the side, and I would be keeping the freezer in a cubby hole of my house next to a wall so I would never see it. Irregardless it worked and I was kinda proud of myself since I have never really done anything this technical ( technical for me anyways) :champ:
Happy brewing, thanks for reading
-Weisse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tomm
Craft
Craft
City:

Post by tomm » 3 years ago

Doesn't look ghetto to me Weisse. And you have done great on the technical side because I don't understand any of it :lol:

Where are you going to put your probe? Or maybe use a fan to make sure the air mixes?

Topic author
Weisseguy
Draft
Draft
City:

tomm wrote:Doesn't look ghetto to me Weisse. And you have done great on the technical side because I don't understand any of it :lol:

Where are you going to put your probe? Or maybe use a fan to make sure the air mixes?
All I did was slip the probe through the back of the door opening. I
I haven't thought about a fan. Do you think it would help? If so maybe I will look into putting one in.
Last edited by Weisseguy on 19 Aug 2014, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

tomm
Craft
Craft
City:

Post by tomm » 3 years ago

There can be a lot of temperature gradients in a fermentation fridge so put your probe in the middle. If you have a second probe thermometer and can put a thermowell in your fermentor, that will help you keep an eye on wort temperature during primary fermentation to stop it running away on you. A fan would be good but I don't know how you would rig it up.

Rick
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: East Greenville

Post by Rick » 3 years ago

I mount my probe to the side of the fermenter by completely surrounding it with plumber's putty. This insulates it to where ambient temps are irrelevant, and the probe will only read the temp of the FV (just as a stick on thermometer would).

Be sure to wear some protective gloves though, the putty is a bit harsh on the skin. Works very well, though!

Lumpy5oh
Gold
Gold
Canada
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Woodstock

Post by Lumpy5oh » 3 years ago

For the same reasons as Rick above I have the porbe sitting in bottle filled with water.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga

Topic author
Weisseguy
Draft
Draft
City:

Great ideas. I am looking forward to my next brew because of this new tool at my disposal. I think this is going to be one of the best investments I have made to my brewing process since I started.

Topic author
Weisseguy
Draft
Draft
City:

New pics with a better explanation. I had to do allot of research to find a way to hard wire this probe into my freezer so that I didn't have to buy more than I had to. I hope this helps anyone else looking to brew better beer on a budget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests