2 micron airstone/ aerating wort

Also see Yeasts

Topic author
onkeltuka
Craft
Craft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

2 micron airstone/ aerating wort

Post by onkeltuka » 2 years ago

So I got this 2 micron steel airstone, but I started thinking is it enough of a filter by itself? Bacteria can be down to 0.5 microns in size. My plan was to drive room air through it with an aquarium pump, but now I'm not sure. They also sell those 0.5 micron stones, but what are they for? Somewhere I read that o.5 microns is for pure oxygen, and 2 microns for normal air? Why is this so?
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Lumpy5oh
Gold
Gold
Canada
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Woodstock

Post by Lumpy5oh » 2 years ago

The stone is not there to act as a filter but to change the air into tiny bubbles that can be better absorbed by the wort. I have not used one yet but from what I understand you really need to boil the stone before use to kill anything that could be living in the pores.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga

Topic author
onkeltuka
Craft
Craft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by onkeltuka » 2 years ago

ok. So if I'm going to use it to pump air with a pump then I'll need a filter of some sort as well?
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

mally
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
Region: Europe
City: Stoke on Trent

Post by mally » 2 years ago

I have no experience of this whatsoever, but I would guess you need an inline-hepa filter.

something like this?
Last edited by mally on 25 Mar 2015, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life

Lumpy5oh
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Woodstock

Post by Lumpy5oh » 2 years ago

I have no experience with these either but I would think that there would not be much more chance of getting an infection than from shaking your carboy or aggressively agitating the wort. The pores of the stone could easily harbor nasties in between uses.
Hopefully someone with experience can straighten us out.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
Region: Oceania
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 2 years ago

[Off-topic: Just reading your signatures above. There are some crackers there :)]

Just waiting to go and taste some 'Tusk' with sinkas at Clancy's (local pub) so this might be the last and only sensible post from me today :). I'm no expert on this are so can only offer a few thoughts...

1. Don't be scared of air if you will be pitching straight away. Pouring from a height (splashing), rocking the fermentor and using an airstone are all pumping 'dirty' air through your wort but you will rarely find a problem unless you are doing it outside in wild yeast conditions.

2. Someone posted about six months ago here that rocking the fermentor will actually aerate your wort faster than an airstone. I didn't know that but thought it was a great thread (anyone remember the link?).

3. Personally, I have the 2 micron airstone which I do boil in water. I have a hepafilter on it and have used the same one for years but I wouldn't be worried if you don't have one given 1 above. Despite now knowing about 2 above, I prefer the filter instead of rocking as I don't like the idea of the underneath of my fermentor lid and the seal etc, etc, being washed in wort that will never see yeast. That is me proabbly being pedantic though.

:scratch: :think:

Have no idea on the 0.5 micron thing for O2 and the 2 micron for CO2 sorry onke.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

joshua
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by joshua » 2 years ago

Onkeltuka, I do not like to put any solid stuff in the wort, except Yeast.

For our links about this......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2840 Aquarium pump and air stone?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2903 Micron Filters
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 2 years ago

I aerate with pure oxygen, not sure if it's better than regular air but after sitting in a NC cube for several weeks I like to give the wort the best possible chance of becoming beer.

---Todd
WWBBD?

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests