Carbonation Problem (or lack of) in a BIG beer

Assumes carbonation of flat beer is done using a priming sugar.

Topic author
SweetMoFo
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
Region: Europe
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Carbonation Problem (or lack of) in a BIG beer

Post by SweetMoFo » 2 years ago

Hi all,
I brewed a big IPA using US-05, I hand wrote the recipe on the fly and was planning a 90 min boil where I would add hops every 5 mins, this should of given me a nice 8-9% hoppy IPA.

This was my second brew of the day and I drank my way through the first one so writing a recipe for the second without using the calculator was probably not the best idea, looking back at it now I realise my mistake. I worked out that 200 grams of hops over 90 mins was 5 grams every 5 mins with 10 grams FWH and 10 in the cube. Many beers later and 3 hours in to the boil I realised my error :idiot:

Now as it was 2am by this point and I'd been drinking all day instead of being sensible and adding water to bring the gravity down a bit I thought this could be a great beer so I stuck it in the cube. The next day I put it in the carboy and added some US-05. It started at 1120 and finished at 1030 making it 11.9%. :argh: I bottled it adding dextrose to carbonate but 4 weeks on nothing. Tastes great but no carbonation. A bit of research suggests that the US-05 only works up to about 12% so I'm guessing that's my problem.

The beer is in swing tops so I was thinking of adding some fresh yeast to see if it helps but I have 2 concerns.
1) If I use US-05 again it will do nothing as its 12% already
2) If I use a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance there is still plenty of sugars in there to make some great tasting bottle bombs

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

joshua
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
City:

Post by joshua » 2 years ago

SweetMoFo, you may want to try Champagne yeast.

Example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/red-star ... pagne.html

It is good to 12% to 15% ABV.

YMMV
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Topic author
SweetMoFo
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
City:

Thanks for the suggestion Joshua, I had thought of using something like that but was afraid of the yeast dropping another 20 points off the beer in the bottle and creating bottle bombs. I think I may have to pour it back into a fermenter and add some higher gravity yeast.

Do you know what effect a champaign yeast will have on beer? I think I remember hearing that all/most of the yeast flavour comes at the beginning of fermentation so it should have little to no impact on taste. I hope this is right.

Chris

joshua
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by joshua » 2 years ago

Chris, the Champagne yeast is used by wine maker to Bottle Flat Wine, into Sparkling wine.

The Red Star yeast is VERY neutral in the flavor area.

If you Keg in a Corny, Check Mad_Scientist's Topic on Corny carbonation, at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1933
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Topic author
SweetMoFo
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
City:

I do use corny kegs and will have a good read of that post but at first glance it looks like a lot of work for 1 batch of beer. I think I'll try the champaign yeast in a small batch. Not for a few days yet so I'll keep a look out on here and post results when I get them.

Thanks again Joshua

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 2 years ago

Patience Grasshopper! I have had big Porters and Stouts take 8-12 weeks or more to carb up.

---Todd
Last edited by thughes on 19 Apr 2015, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?

Topic author
SweetMoFo
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
City:

Just a little update. I left the bottles ages to carb up by themselves (not through choice but through a very busy life) and they still had no life in them. I finally got the time to fill a 5L demijohn with some of the bottles and some of that yeast recommended by Joshua and it looks like it's doing the job. I was away for the weekend so didn't see it bubble but there is a nice yeast cake at the bottom so I'm assuming it has done the job. I'll check the gravity next weekend when I re-bottle it and keep the thread updated on it's progress. Thanks guys.

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest