Noob questions EBC input on biabacus

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Topic author
Clackers
Draft
Draft
Japan
Region: Asia
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City: Tottori

Noob questions EBC input on biabacus

Post by Clackers » 4 months ago

Hi all,
I am trying to plan my first brew, and trying to get my head round the biabacus.
Anyway I have to get all my ingredients online. No LHBS :dunno:
So I use this site, I am still trying to work out which of the grains are base malts and which are specialty grains.
Is going purely by name ok? E.G Pale malt is always a base malt and caramel is always a specialty malt?

http://www.sakeland.net/?mode=cate&csid=0&cbid=1658133

This is the site I get my stuff from, I want to make an ale to start with, should be nice and easy.
This site has pale ale ECB5~7. Now when inputing on biabacus should I just split the difference? And put down a 6?
Also I am planning to do 10liter brews, When fermenting would one packet of yeast just be too much.
I have read that most brewers under pitch, so would this be ok, or would using 3/4 of the pack be safer? I am asking because
everywhere I read goes into more detail about pitching rates than my brain can handle.

Thanks.

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Re: Noob questions EBC input on biabacus

Post by ShorePoints » 3 months ago

Clackers - Reasonable questions, asking is always good. :salute: I hope you hear from others in addition to my reply.
Your picture of base and specialty grains is O.K. for now. You can put all in the 90 minute mash at the beginning, or you can put specialty grains in at a later time for just "steeping." I have not done that; all my grist has gone into my 90 minute mash from the beginning. At some point, I'll try shorter steeping times for specialty grains that might not be suited for 90 minutes - the darkest crystal Lovibond numbers or the chocolate grains that are in small % of grist total mass.
Going purely by name in the left column is O.K. The BIABacus will use its defaults for ECB and you do not need to worry about changing them unless you know you have a need to change. You don't even need to enter duplicate names on the right side, your kettle dimensions and desired volume will take care of things automatically.
Yeast pitching for a 10 liter batch could best be answered by somebody with experience on that scale, but I think you could add a whole packet and be fine, as long as your temperature starts on the low end of the desired range. Fermentation is exothermic- it gives heat as a product, so if you pitch on the high end of the temperature range, fermentation will start quickly and raise the temperature even higher, maybe too high. Start low, go slow and the exotherm will not get you into trouble if you have the fermenter in a cool location. If it is in a closet, think about opening the door to see how warm it gets in there. A drift of 2 degrees C is then not too bad. If you can keep it steady for the first 3-4 days, that's good. After that it can rise a couple of degrees C to finish off.
I hope someone else chimes in here because there may be different ideas. But for now I think you should try entering things in the BIABacus and see what looks good, then post it for comments. :think:

Topic author
Clackers
Draft
Draft
Japan
Region: Asia
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City: Tottori

Re: Noob questions EBC input on biabacus

Post by Clackers » 3 months ago

Thanks for the reply, I dont not know that about yeast creating heat.
I`ll do what you said about entering into the biabacus.
Cheers.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests