My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

pancakes
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post by pancakes » 1 week ago

Hey all,

My name is Wes and I'm from Ohio, USA. I just got into brewing and decided to go with BIAB since it seemed a little easier to get started with than three vessel. I've been catching up on a bunch of old Beersmith podcasts, and one of them mentioned this site so I thought I'd give it a try. I've really been looking for a good source of information specific to BIAB, so looks like I hit the jackpot!

I've brewed two batches so far using BIAB. The first one turned out surprisingly well, and still waiting for the second to carbonate. I recently graduated from college and started working full time. I figured I needed a real hobby now that I'm a real person, so I picked brewing! I'm hoping this site can help be become a better brewer, there's so much to learn!

Thanks!
Wes

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 1 week ago

Welcome to the forum Jonny from Hampton, NB and Roger BMWfan from Minnesota, and also to Wes pancakes from Ohio. This is the place for brewers who have made a few batches as well as those who have brewed for 15 years, where BIAB information helps all of us make better (and easier!) All Grain beer.
Be sure to check out the BIABacus - it is not as hard as it might first look. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869
And see the Clear Brewing Terminology page, too. http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685
If you have questions, feel free to ask.

AussieBrew
Australia
Region: Oceania
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City: Newcastle

Post by AussieBrew » 6 days ago

Gday all

Just assembling the components to kick off BIAB after about 1.5 years of kits and partial brews. Made some good beer and had some shockers along the way. I have tried a few fresh wort kits and am impressed. Came across the site while researching BIAB. Seems pretty good once you get your head around the structure.

I'm from Newcastle, NSW, Australia. I work shift work so am up at random times on the site.

Look forward to more

Cheers
Damo

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 4 days ago

Hello Damo (AussieBrew),

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what questions you have, and one of us will be along to help...

Once you have all of your equipment sorted out, the BIABacus Excel file is great! Really is huge help. And if you would like some help with equipment, before is always better than after purchasing...

BIABacus Tool:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

Clear Brewing Terminology - CBT - will help you understand the terms easier:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Feel free to put a new post on the BIAB for New Members page, please be clear in the title and be as clear as possible on what you are looking for on any questions.

Thanks, and best of luck! :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 17 Oct 2017, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

spbmssen
Draft
Draft
Great Britain
Region: Europe
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City: Petersfield

Post by spbmssen » 3 days ago

Hello All,

I've just been introduced to brew-in-a-bag by a friend this last wekeend, loved it! Now waiting for the results.
My experience of brewing is scant, I've only done four 'wort in a can' brews...with decreasing levels of success. My first lot was the best, which is worrying! I must be overthinking it, although somebody did point out that my first brew was in winter, and the last three were during the much warmer months of the English summer, so I'm putting my off-flavours down to over-temp fermenting. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I'm hooked by the BIAB method now, and can't wait for this one to leave the bin so I can start boiling up the next.

Cheers, Paul.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 3 days ago

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

:!: Quick Tip: To moderate fermentation temperatures and keep fermentation temperatures CONSISTENT (important) - get a larger garbage can and put water in it. Place fermenter in the garbage can with water. It helps a lot!!! And in the winter you may have to use a fish tank heater to warm the water for brewing ales if too cold / or brew lagers in winter. Depends on ambient temperatures and sometimes other temperature variables.

I didn't develop this technique but got it from a pro. And it worked great before I got a fermentation chamber. And if I needed to ferment more than one at a time I use this as a fall-back. Different yeast strain suppliers will post recommended temperatures for their products.

Let us know if questions...

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests