My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

jrstephens65
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Albuquerque

Post by jrstephens65 » 1 year ago

Hi All, New member from Albuquerque, NM USA

Was brewing for many years but had to put it on the shelf for a while to raise the kids and such.

I was previously extract and partial mash brewing with some good results. This time I am going BIAB 5 gallon batches. Hope to brew my first batch this coming weekend. I have ordered a Spike Brewing 10 gal kettle that I am waiting to arrive. I have a bag for it and a couple of hop bags as well.

First brew will be a blonde so as to keep my wife interested :). Stouts and IPA's are more to my liking but as long as it's home brew I am happy.

Looking forward to getting started again and have found this site a great resource already!

James

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 1 year ago

Lasevera and jrstephens65,

Welcome to the site. There is a ton of advice on the site and I hope you can find it with just a tad bit of looking. Advice on equipment is very helpful...the BIABacus file for helping with your brew is HUGE..., etc.

James - is it too late to return your pot and get something larger...? Your situation was mine just a couple years ago. I almost bought a 10 gallon pot (for 5 or just over gallon batches of beer...seemed so large at the time, when used to brewing extract). Actually ordered on some advice and then cancelled it later and ordered larger 16 gallon pot on other advice. Advice on the Internet was so confusing...and conflicting back then; still is actually. A 10-gallon pot would have been a BIG mistake. You are in the same situation, and that will just barely do what you want it to do. It CAN do what you want - but just barely! Much better to get a little larger pot like 15-16 gallon to give some extra room for brewing bigger brews like IPAs or big Stouts if you want, or maybe just a double batch of a smaller brew now and then... Anyhow, not trying to be a kill-joy, but wanting to help you out with your current situation, and it seems fixable at this point. You don't want to be brewing close to max capacity, if possible.

Gentlemen, wish both of you the best of luck, and let us know if questions! :luck:

LI Mike D
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City: Huntington

Post by LI Mike D » 1 year ago

Hello. New Member here from Long Island, New York. Former homebrewer from the late 80's early 90's (extract w/ specialty grains), but I stopped with the arrival of kids and the explosion of availability of great beers in the states, eventually selling all my equipment in a yard sale.

I stumbled onto small batch BIAB videos (and eventually this site), and could not wait to visit the old home-brew store and get back into home brewing. Last week I bottled my first all grain BIAB 1 gallon Sierra Nevada clone. Yesterday, I made a made a smoked stout (I am also a competitive BBQer) - the initial SG was a whopping 1.0915 - so this will be a x-mas beer !!!! (2 row pale malt, crystal malt, black malt and cherry wood smoked malt) . Man did that wort smell and look enticing.

I have the ingredients for a simple america pale ale for next week to see how well I can execute now that I have those first two brews as experience.

I'm delighted to have found this site as the small batch BIAB is exactly the right way for me and the information here has been just what I needed to be convinced to get back into home brewing.

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Goulais River

Post by goulaigan » 1 year ago

Welcome aboard shotgunsteve and Lasevera!

shotgunsteve- Ive wanted to try brewing a Weizenbock for a while, guess I should come up with a recipe and throw it in my biabacus folder since thats the only way I ever get around to brewing stuff on that 'to brew' list in my head. Aventinus is a damn good beer, and a dangerously sneaky one :) Good to see another fellow canuck, give the biabacus a try if you haven't already!

Lasevera- Glad to have you aboard, I hope BIAB is treating you well since switching from extract, let us know if you have any questions, and as stated above give the biabacus a whirl if you haven't yet and keep us posted on how it works for you.

Happy Brewing to you both!

jspicher
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by jspicher » 1 year ago

Hello,
New member here from Lancaster, PA. I came across this site from numerous blogs discussing BIAB, it seems to be the Holy Grail of BIAB knowledge and from what I've seen so far it is! I've been brewing since the freshman year of college and am currently in medical school (so 5 yrs of brewing?). I've messed around with extract independently and large all-grain batches when brewing with others. Last year I started doing 1 gallon all-grain batches but want to scale up as much as possible given my 5 gallon pot and electric kitchen stove in my apartment (3 gal BIAB perhaps?). So here I am looking for answers. Just made a 5 gallon extract Hefeweizen kit and it is carbing up in the kegerator.
Thanks for putting this site together, its great!

Streamer
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Streamer » 1 year ago

jspicher wrote:Hello,
New member here from Lancaster, PA. I came across this site from numerous blogs discussing BIAB, it seems to be the Holy Grail of BIAB knowledge and from what I've seen so far it is! I've been brewing since the freshman year of college and am currently in medical school (so 5 yrs of brewing?). I've messed around with extract independently and large all-grain batches when brewing with others. Last year I started doing 1 gallon all-grain batches but want to scale up as much as possible given my 5 gallon pot and electric kitchen stove in my apartment (3 gal BIAB perhaps?). So here I am looking for answers. Just made a 5 gallon extract Hefeweizen kit and it is carbing up in the kegerator.
Thanks for putting this site together, its great!
I think you're right, the holy grail of BIAB knowledge is on this site, and the masters are willing to share. Welcome to the club
Last edited by Streamer on 02 Sep 2016, 12:04, edited 11 times in total.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Goulais River

Post by goulaigan » 1 year ago

Welcome to you as well LI Mike D, competitive BBQing eh? That sounds interesting... This is the place to be for all your small batch BIABing needs, give the Biabacus a try if you haven't yet, it will make your brew day more predictable and help you record results and get your process dialed in. 1 Gallon batches can be a bit tricky to be consistent with, but as long as you are making good beer consistency isn't necessarily all that important :) Happy Brewing!

Weasel
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Weasel » 1 year ago

Hi Guys,
My cousin and I have been brewing beer for a couple of years now in the Vancouver (Canada) area, with several all grain batches under our belt and only lately have discovered the prospect of BIAB. We are about to attempt our first BIAB tomorrow, so wish us luck! The biggest advantage I can see for making the switch is the potential time savings -- trying to brew multiple batches in a single day using a mash cooler and slowly lautering, bringing to a boil, etc. made for some long days. Looking forward to getting good efficiency with way less time investment!

I look forward to learning more, and becoming a better brewer.

Cheers!

nickflynn
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by nickflynn » 1 year ago

Hi all, I'm about to start my first BIAB (pot and bag ordered) here in Switzerland. Planning on some Brewdog clones (not the easiest to source the originals here!) Hoping to use the BIABacus here as well since my mathematical ability in questionable! I'm sure i'll be bending a number of ears in here for advice as I start brewing!
Nick

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Weasel and Nick,

Welcome to the forum! Let us know if any questions.

Weasel - it will be interesting to hear your thoughts, post brew. Just don't forget to do a 90 minute mash!!! Hopefully followed by a 10 minute mash out for good measure... Some try to cut mash down to 60 minutes but efficiency normally suffers.

Nick - just because a recipe lacks integrity doesn't mean you can't use it for inspiration, it just means you won't be able to accurately copy it. Here is a link that deals with recipe integrity: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1887

Good luck guys, and let us know how it goes! :luck:

oticoyote
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by oticoyote » 1 year ago

Hey

I'm from NL Canada and I have brewed 4-5 extract brews and a wine kit so far.

Bought the voile to make a BIAB bag and very excited to do my first small batch all grain on the stove.

Cheers,

Oticoyote

Oldgit
Craft
Craft
Great Britain
City:

Post by Oldgit » 1 year ago

oticoyote wrote:Hey

I'm from NL Canada and I have brewed 4-5 extract brews and a wine kit so far.

Bought the voile to make a BIAB bag and very excited to do my first small batch all grain on the stove.

Cheers,

Oticoyote

Welcome to the forum :peace:
Last edited by Oldgit on 05 Sep 2016, 14:57, edited 11 times in total.

Muggy Dawson
Gold
Gold
Australia
Region: Oceania
City: Geraldton

Post by Muggy Dawson » 1 year ago

1. Where are you from? Geraldton Western Australia.

2. How did you stumble across the site? I googled BIAB.

3. What you think of it so far? So much info, yes!

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? Extract can brewer switching to BIAB all grain. Just got my 40L Crown Urn delivered with a Stout grain bill.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? I work as little as possible, but occasionally the overtime money is too good to refuse.
Last edited by Muggy Dawson on 06 Sep 2016, 19:12, edited 11 times in total.
Next - Bohemian Pilsner.
Cubed - Sierra Pale.
F.V's - Smokey Dark Ale, Basic Stout.
Briefly Bottled - Basic Stout II, Basic Stout III, Stock Stout, Victory Stout, Southern Cross Pale, Smoked Porter.

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 1 year ago

Welcome Muggy, it's nice to see some representatives from Oz in the forums. Figure up your Stout recipe in the BIABacus and get to brewin, let us know if you have any questions.

---Todd
WWBBD?

guapodad
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by guapodad » 1 year ago

1. Where are you from?
Austin, Texas

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Searching on Google for DIY BIAB grain bags, found tons of info!

3. What you think of it so far?
Great, I'm gonna be coming here for a long time... I could tell!

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Five years, most of which was mead but beer a little over one year. Just started BIAB and I'm loving it!

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Work full time but heavily involved in a local brew club, we're all BIAB dudes!

Cheers, y'all!

Roberto

Brew4me
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Brew4me » 1 year ago

Welcome to the site Roberto!
Sounds like you have some good experience under your belt already and with a full club of BIABers we all will be looking forward to hearing about your brew day experiences. Search the site, there is a ton of information here, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Pete

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Hello Tammy,

Welcome to the site! Let us know if you have any questions.

Rowdy
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Multi-Vessel All-Grain (MVA)
City: Atlantic Beach

Post by Rowdy » 1 year ago

Hey all Tampa Based 2 bbl brewer who just purchased a nano brewer dual from Colorado Brewing Systems as a pilot system for my 10 Bbl Brewhouse.

Loads of great Info here thanks in advance

MilwaukeeBob
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by MilwaukeeBob » 1 year ago

Good morning all!
I am kind of new to brewing. I have went from reading and watching videos straight to all grain full volume 3 vessel brewing and straight to kegging. I have temperature controlled fermentation chambers and am working on moving from flame to electric. I have brewed 5 different batches of beer so far and all have turned out great! My brother is a BIAB brewer and has been for years. I was going to give it a shot but wanted to read up on it first...and of course, design and sew up my own bags.
Looking forward to giving this a shot.

UWHuskiesfan
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by UWHuskiesfan » 1 year ago

Hi, Fellow brewers!

I'm spankin' new to the site. Live in Washington state. I've been brewing for 5+ years, but always extract brews. Just attempting my first BIAB so that I can move up to brewing "big boy" beers. I'm especially interested in what changes I need to make to AG recipes to B them IAB successfully.

Thanks for all of the help I'll be getting from the site!

Dale

Lumpy5oh
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Woodstock

Post by Lumpy5oh » 1 year ago

Welcome UW.
The biabacus is an awesome tool to convert recipes and to track your brewday.
Have a look around and if you need some questions answered ask away.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga

shader
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City:

Post by shader » 1 year ago

Hello!

I am a total newbie and I am happy to embrace that distinction until I can learn a lot more. I live in California and am a fan of mild to moderately hoppy beers. I just completed my very first brew ever this past weekend using extract and a modified recipe out of John Palmers book "How to brew". Brew day went off without a hitch and I was readily able to see the limitations of extract brewing and hence the allure of AG. I stumbled across this forum while searching for instructions/equipment needed/recipes for BIAB and so far I am trying to digest all the information on this site. I do work full time and have a 4 month old child at home so my available time for brewing is somewhat limited. However, I refuse to let that get in my way of some delicious beer.

Eric

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 1 year ago

Greetings, Eric (shader) and also to MilwaukeeBob and Rowdy. Whether you are a newbie or have brewed barrels of beer, this is the place to be. Read lots to learn about how simple BIAB brewing can lead to great beer and decide for yourself how complex your brewing equipment will get. Ask questions and pass along your experiences in the forum - that's what makes it interesting.

Buz_Light
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Buz_Light » 1 year ago

Hi all,
New BIAB brewer (1st batch in fermenter for 3 day) from Canada (Québec, Trois-Rivières) here. Ran trough this site looking for saison recipes for my second batch, one I could trow in the delectables ground cherries that grow in my garden ;)
So far this forum looks very ressourcefull, very interesting. There definitely a lot here to help improve my brewing experiences (still have to taste that first though, anyway...)

I'm a full time consultant (biologist, environmental), father of two and martial artist practitioner. Will try to find as much time as possible to brewand contribute here :)

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests