My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 1 year ago

Welcome Buz! Being a biologist perhaps you can teach us a thing or two about the care and feeding of those lovable little yeasties? Let us know how that first brew turns out. Regarding Saisons.....ferment them on the hot side of the yeast's range. I've fermented with harvested Dupont yeast and had good results in the 85-90F range!

---Todd
WWBBD?

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Goulais River

Post by goulaigan » 1 year ago

Welcome Buz_Light, glad you are finding the forum useful so far. Always nice to see fellow Canadians joining our community. Give the Biabacus a try for your next batch if you haven't already. It will help make your brewday much more predictable and also help identify problems if you run into any. There are a few saison recipes floating around here, main thing with a saison is the yeast in my opinion. I have brewed a few cherry saisons myself but I have only used organic juice, recently did one with strawberries though. Anyway, let us know if you have questions and Happy Brewing!

Buz_Light
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by Buz_Light » 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies. Very appreciated way to welcome new members :)
I am more an aquatic biologist (water quality, fishes, algaes and aquatic bugs), don't know much about yeast yet (microbiology stuff) but plan to read a lot. Halfway trough Palmer's now.
As for the saison batch I'm currently planning, thanks for the hints, I'll sure have a look around for basic recipes.

peak pondered
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by peak pondered » 1 year ago

Hi, First BIAB attempt coming this weekend. Trying to figure out logistics. 44qt bayou classic pot ready to go, but trying to figure out the details like how much water to start with.

Thanks for doing all the hard work guys.

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada

Hi peak pondered and welcome. Grab a copy of Biabacus, read up on our clear brewing terminology thread to help you understand the terms used in it, and it will help you get the details you need. It will depend on the recipe you are trying to brew as well. Give it a whirl filling it out and if you have trouble, post your file up on the 'Use this thread to convert recipes to your equipment' and someone will give you a hand. Happy Brewing!

Oliverb
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Oliverb » 1 year ago

Hi All, Long time viewer and not poster. I've been homebrewing for about 3 years so keen to impart some knowledge on people! Cheers,

Oliver

DCobs
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by DCobs » 1 year ago

Hello All!

I'm new to brewing, my coworker got me into it, and have done one brew with an extract kit and am looking to do my first all grain brew this weekend as a brew in the bag. I look forward to learning from you all!

DCobs

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada

Welcome Oliverb and DCobs! Lots of info here to help you get on your way to making some great beer. Let us know if you have questions, Happy Brewing!

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada

Hi usc886 and welcome aboard! Lots of info here on improving your process and end result. Give the BIABacus a try if you haven't already. It is a great tool to have in your brewing arsenal. let us know if you have questions and Happy Brewing!

vandros
Draft
Draft
Spain
Region: Europe
City:

Post by vandros » 1 year ago

Hello guys, first post although I have been reading and learning from it for a long time. Spanish bloke that got hooked into homebrewing while living in NZ, although I am now living in the UK. I did a few beer kits until moving to BIAB (electric urn) earlier this year. My first attempt was the NRB All Amarillo recipe and it was the best beer I tasted in a long time. Thank you guys to the time and effort to make this happen!

gothmog
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by gothmog » 1 year ago

Hi everyone!

I´m from Basque country (Spain). I have brewed in a modified Buffalo of 40 litres just 3 (Saison, Weiss and Porter)batches and wishing to brew many more! I reached to this web from the ACCE (Spanish homebrewer association) since some partners spoke about it. Thanks for spreading all your knowledge!

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 1 year ago

Vandros and Gothmog - welcome to the forum and if you have any questions let us know!

Abyssal
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Abyssal » 1 year ago

Hi all! I'm a pretty new brewer, only 5 batches under my belt so far (3 of them all grain). I jumped feet first into all brain brewing with a strict budget, small space allocation for brew equipment, and a new family so limited time to invest on brew days. But I had lots of time researching DIY articles trying to get the cheapest, most compact brewing gear!

Naturally I stumbled upon BIAB, but I started into it a little squeamish due to reading things about low efficiency (me being and engineer low percentiles hurt my soul a little. Now I know what you are thinking, enjoyment of the trade and great beer are what matter, not some percentile! Trust me I tell myself that everyday!). With such a limited budget BIAB with 1 gallon batches was the only reasonable way for me to proceed.

Currently I'm planning my 6th batch in order to test out my new (albeit small) system to see what kind of numbers I get. (My 5th batch was on my new set up, but I was so excited to use it that, I'm ashamed to admit this but, my maths were terrible so needless to say my numbers were a little off compared to the recipe I was following. But hey, it tastes good!)

Thanks to all who spend so much time and energy to required to make this site happen!

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada

Hi Abyssal and welcome aboard! I think you will find, if you read up here and follow the advice you find on this site you will see that the info you have read regarding low efficiency is a myth. Brewers doing full volume biab around here are generally getting efficiency numbers as high or higher than most 3 vessel brewers. Give the BIABacus a try, it helps with all that math stuff :)

Happy Brewing!

2row
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by 2row » 1 year ago

Hello everyone I'm from the USA and live on the coast of Maine. So far I've only done extract brewing. I have been getting the things I need to get started with BIAB. So far I have a 15 gal. keggle, a new burner, grain mill, a larger wort chiller, and a nice bag with handles sewn into it. Been doing a lot of reading and watching youtube videos on the subject. I hope to gain a lot of information from this site and make a lot of new brewing friends.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Hey 2row,

Welcome to the forum... Nice to hear you're motivated and joining this great hobby.

BIABrewer.info does a good job with keeping info on the site of high quality. When I was getting going with whole grain I remember being deluged with tons of info, and a guy doesn't really know who or what to believe... :scratch: Not all info posted on the different forums and online is of equal value, and so I am glad you found your way to this website.

Look around the site. There are lots of info that will be helpful, including lots on the BIAB for new brewers page: viewforum.php?f=5 Best of luck, and let us know how we can help! :luck:

gary2475
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by gary2475 » 1 year ago

Hello from the Windy City!

I started brewing beer this year. I've done 2 extract batches and one mixed grain/extract batch. I'm now ready to jump into BIAB and found this site via Google as I was searching for information on how to get started.

Gary

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 1 year ago

Hello, Gary. Getting started here will set you on the right path. Read a lot and ask questions. Get the BIABacus and give it a try. Even if you don't use it for what you brew, it can help you see what' impact a change can have. Brewing has its challenges, but the reward is beer!

cbutger
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by cbutger » 1 year ago

Hello, I'm originally from Canada and now living in Australia where I have a good opportunity to start brewing. I am nearly finished building a 70L electric system, just waiting on the element for it. I can see I have heaps of reading to do and I'm looking forward to it ;)

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Cbutger - welcome to the forum. Yes, lots of info available on the site. Do lots of looking around and let us know how we can help.

Norbrewster
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Norbrewster » 1 year ago

BiAB for the win :champ:

Need info on how to increase my OG, brewing this weekend with 2 friends :geek:
Too beer, not too brew

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada

Hi Norbrewster and welcome aboard. Biab for the win indeed :) Loads of information here to help you with all aspects of brewing. A simple answer to your question would be more grain, but I am guessing maybe you are looking for a bit more in depth answer than that. If you do not find the info you need with a search and some poking around, try creating a new topic in the new members section with some more specific information regarding your setup, recipe, volumes etc. and you will get more specific answers :) The biabacus will also help.

Happy Brewing!

MakeItStout
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City:

Post by MakeItStout » 1 year ago

Hi all, I'm a fairly seasoned brewer but new to BIAB.

I just got done building my eBIAB rig, and I'm hoping to share the build here with everyone. To document my build, I started a blog: http://www.makeitstout.com/. I'm not trying to sell anything, it's just a handy way to share my build across platforms - forums, facebook, etc.

Anyways, I had my first successful brew with it last weekend and was done in 5 hours - that's especially great, given that this included a 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil.

some more about me: I'm a mechaincal design engineer by trade, which means I like tinkering with hardware. I am just outside of Charlotte, NC. I've been brewing for about 8 years, all grain for about 4, and BIAB since last Sunday.
Last edited by MakeItStout on 21 Sep 2016, 22:38, edited 11 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests