My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Post by Scott » 1 year ago

MakeItStout and King81,

Welcome to the forum! Make sure to download the BIABacus file and also explore the terminology page. Let us know if any questions, and for certain let us know how it goes.

ChuckH
Draft
Draft
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by ChuckH » 1 year ago

Hello from central Texas,

I live and work New Braunfels, TX. It's a small town between San Antonio and Austin. Currently I brew 5 gallon all-grain batches with a 3 vessel system ( HLT, MT, & BK). It's a long tedious process that I want to condense down. I did a lot of research and decided that BIAB was the way to go. I stumbled on this site while surfing the web for information on BIAB. It's the most informative site on the subject out there. So here I am :)

P.S. I pulled the trigger and ordered a 15 gallon "Nano Home" system from Colorado Brewing Systems.

Cheers,
ChuckH

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 1 year ago

Welcome ChuckH! Try the BIABacus spreadsheet at http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869, and feel free to ask questions. You will get answers. Your 15 gallon kettle will serve you well as it will not be limited the way my 10 gallon is. Good choice :salute:

seneaf
Draft
Draft
Portugal
Region: Europe
City:

Post by seneaf » 1 year ago

Hello my name is Sérgio and im from Portugal,im very glade for fund this site. Hope to learn a lot.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Hello Sergio, and welcome to the forum! Look around, lots of good stuff here...and let us know if you have any questions!

dbainbri
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by dbainbri » 1 year ago

Hi
Posting my intro to become fully registered. I'm in Brisbane Australia. I'm looking to move to BIAB in the next few months after I clear a small backlog of kit and extract brews. I've done mainly kit and extract + specialty grains brews thus far. Got my temp control worked out now and brews have been much better since then. I keg rather tan bottle and am extremely happy I made that investment. I'll be scouring this site looking for some good tips for a BIAB beginner. I have to get some gear and recipes together and am looking forward to learning.

Thanks

dbainbri

cristianot
Draft
Draft
Portugal
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City:

Post by cristianot » 1 year ago

Hi folks,

My name is Cristiano.

1. Where are you from?
I'm from Portugal and live in a small city called Santa Maria da Feira.

2. How did you stumble across the site?
Trying to figure out how to BIAB in my Brewferm 27 l and using Beersmith 2 and after googling it I found your site.

3. What you think of it so far?
Looks great and I only read a bit of it. ;)

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
Started brewing early this year but I've been studying for a few months now. Started with all-grain and brewed 3 mashes with success.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
I have a full time job in a plastic injection factory.

OzAdamski
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by OzAdamski » 1 year ago

Hello All

It's great to find this wonderful resource for BIAB. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and have until now done a few extract brews. Recently a mate that has done a few kit brews decided that he wanted to brew all the beer for his upcoming engagement party. So we've got a schedule of 4 brews to get done before mid November. He decided he wanted to go BIAB so a 40 litre Crown urn was purchased and off we go on this learning journey.

A mid strength
A golden ale
An APA
A ruby ale

I'm sure that this site will be a wonderful resource along the way.

Cheers

Adam

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

A big welcome to dbainbri, cristianot and .OzAdamski. Whether you are from Australia, Portugal or beyond, beer brings us together. BIAB works so well, it is good to have you join us and learn from the forum, and maybe contribute, too. Read lots and ask questions. Brew on!

cristianot
Draft
Draft
Portugal
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City:

Re:

Post by cristianot » 1 year ago

ShorePoints wrote:A big welcome to dbainbri, cristianot and .OzAdamski. Whether you are from Australia, Portugal or beyond, beer brings us together. BIAB works so well, it is good to have you join us and learn from the forum, and maybe contribute, too. Read lots and ask questions. Brew on!
Thanks. :mrgreen:

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
Last edited by cristianot on 26 Sep 2016, 18:52, edited 11 times in total.

jkb89
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by jkb89 » 1 year ago

Hi everyone!

Joe here from sunny Shropshire, UK.

I've made a couple of extract brews and recently moved over to mini-BIAB, having made my first (5L) batch over the weekend. I've also just upgraded my plastic keg to a corny, so excited to take my beer making up a notch.

I've just ordered 3kg of Maris otter and 100g of Galaxy to do my next brew (SMASH). Plans are also in the pipeline for a temp controlled fermenter (fridge) and possibly a double/tri corny set up further down the line.

Glad to be here, looks like there'll be plenty to learn.

tjchappell
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by tjchappell » 1 year ago

Hello everyone,
My name is TJ and I'm relatively new to home brewing game but have been a longtime beer lover. I recently moved back to my hometown of Aurora, IL. I ran across your site while researching the move into biab brewing. Im attempting my first biab this coming weekend and and am very much looking forward an all grain batch!

"In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here!"
Cheers, TJ
TJ
"In heaven there is no beer.
That's why we drink it here,
And when we're gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking all our beer!"

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Hello, jkb89 and tjchappell and welcome. If you have not yet taken a look at the BIABacus spreadsheet, scroll up to post #7678, click the links, and download it. It may look a bit daunting, but give it a go. Your kettle dimensions will help adjust the ingredients from a recipe (you enter on the left) to work for your scale (corresponding cells to the right). You can always ask questions on the forum for assistance.

Stokperdjie
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Stokperdjie » 1 year ago

Hi All

I'm Devin, From Cape Town, South Africa.
My girlfriend got me into the idea of me brewing beer, I bought a kit (BIAB) and have brewed a few brews. so far they have been drinkable and my girlfriend likes them too.
after the 1st 5L batch (kit) I immediately wanted more! thought I'd brew a few more small batches to find a style I like and get really good at that with bigger batch sizes.
My Pot/Kettle is a 21L so maximum batch has been 15L. (still wanting more)
I have googled a heap, found this site essentially the best because the BIAB is something that I dont want to change.
I stay in an apartment block and brew space is limited to my "stoep" which is not really ideal. to streamline my brew equipment, space, etc I have bought a 50L urn that can do a rolling boil well. although I havent brewed in it yet... this is why I registered here to seek advise...

I would like to go full volume... no sparge (everything seems right) space, equipment, weather elements, and simplicity on brew day.

Am wanting to brew 19L - 23L Batches. If anyone could assist in a full volume... no sparge recipe for an IPA and or a recipe for a Californian Common.
I have read about calculations, software, but it confuses me a lot! almost makes me afraid to try. guidelines, recipes or advise would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for long post, newbie inexperienced wannabe better home brewer. (Stokperdjie = hobby, in Afrikaans)

weylend
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by weylend » 1 year ago

Hi all!

1. Where are you from?
I'm from Québec City, Québec, Canada! My mother tongue is french, so I would like to apologize for any mistake I could make :)
2. How did you stumble across the site?
I started doing beer 2 years ago with extract. Since this year, I was looking to upgrade to full grain. Living in an apartment, the space is luxury, so I stumble into BIAB on reddit and finished here!
3. What you think of it so far?
The community is great, every one looks very helpful! There's so much knowledge, I just love it!
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
I was using extract has I said, I lack the kit I had to make 5 gallon batches (sold it to a friend before moving to my new apartment). I now own a 2 gallon kit (Mr. Beer), way easier to store!
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
I do work! I'm a programmer and a student in computer science at the local university!

Cheers!

edgarmsmith
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by edgarmsmith » 1 year ago

Hello,

I live in Savannah, Georgia, and I found a link to this site on HomeBrewTalk.com. I've been brewing for almost a year, and made the switch to BIAB after a couple batches of mediocre extract beers. Around the same time I switched to BIAB I purchased a chest freezer for fermentation and started doing yeast starters. My beers got considerably better, and I am sure that some of that was due to switching to BIAB. I am just starting to explore the site, and I can't wait to see how the calculator helps my brewing.

thughes
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: Rochester

Post by thughes » 1 year ago

Stokperdjie, my girlfriend got me started too! (so she can't complain about it being an obsession now)

weylend, glad to have you here. (don't let PistolPatch find that out you're a programmer....he may put you to work)

edgarmsmith, welcome to the site from a fellow 'Murican. (remember, "hob" is Australian for stove...if you need any help translating things here let me know)

---Todd
WWBBD?

Rupe
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Rupe » 1 year ago

Hi - just getting my stuff together for my first BIAB, prob an American Paley.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Welcome Rupe. Is there anything else you can tell us about yourself...like where are you from, etc.?

Trought
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Trought » 1 year ago

Hi first post keen to know ratio of water to grain for a 23 l batch in general

dogpond
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by dogpond » 1 year ago

Hi everyone- recently joined and attempting my first BIAB shortly.
I am also looking at creating a recipe and wanted to get some advice. I am trying to make a beer I tasted at a craft brewery in my area. I have the following ingredients listed MALTS: Pale, Crystal, Munich, Caramunich, Golden Naked Oats, Wheat, Chocolate Wheat
HOPS: Bravo, Kohatu, Cascade. Also the following details ABV: 3.5% IBU: 28 OG: 1.038

I will play around in BIABACUS and it will obviously be hit and miss in terms of the quantities. If anyone has any advice as to what percentages of each grain would be a good starting point that would be great. I will use the bravo at 60 mins, and was thinking of cascade at 20 and Kohatu at 2. any advice or thoughts on this also would be fantastic. Also what mash temp would be suitable for this grain bill? I plan to just do a single infusion with no mash out.

Sokratees9
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Sokratees9 » 1 year ago

1. Where are you from? - Swatragh, in Co. Derry, Ireland, living in New York city
2. How did you stumble across the site? - via listening to an old episode (#10 I think) of Beer Smith podcast
3. What you think of it so far? - Haven't browsed too much yet, just read a couple of the basics
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using? - Brewed 4 times, 5 gallon partial grain/extract each time, now doing a smaller all-grain batch via BIAB
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household? - I work

goulaigan
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Goulais River

Post by goulaigan » 1 year ago

Welcome aboard Trought! Water to grain for a 23l Biab batch will vary, depending on many things, for example what you mean by 'batch', OG/recipe, your equipment etc. There is however a dependable way to get the answer you are looking for and that is the Biabacus. Have a look at it and check out the Clear brewing Terminology thread, ask questions if needed :)

Hi Dogpond. Sounds like you have already dove in to the Biabacus, I think since you have some good specific questions there you may be best to start a new topic in the new members section and you will get some answers, just so we don't clog up this intro thread too much. Welcome aboard!

Sokratees9, welcome to you as well. Have a look around,the Clear Brewing Terminology thread I mentioned above is a good place to start and helps get us all speaking the same language.

Happy Brewing!

Bordersbrew
Draft
Draft
City:

Post by Bordersbrew » 1 year ago

Hi everybody

I'm from Scotland and having researched the methods of BIAB to death recently I finally find myself here at what I hope is the source of all the answers I seek.

I've not been brewing long and having done only kits so far I'm keen to expand into BIAB. I've been gradually getting the bits and pieces of equipment together and am looking forward to getting started.

I can across this site when it was mentioned in a YouTube video by a guy who was highlighting the benefits of BIAB and no-chill. As I work and brew-time will be limited it seems to be the sensible way for me to proceed into all grain.

Craig

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests