My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

daveIT
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Philadelphia

Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post by daveIT » 3 months ago

Hi, I'm Dave from US. I lived many places--UK, Maine, Colorado, Italy and Alaska but settled in Pennsylvania after I retired. (I was in the Air Force.) I found the site through Brulosophy site or Google...forget which. Great site, so much info that i can't wait to dig into. I've done about 20 batches of extract + specialty grain brews since 2005 and helped some friends on their all-grain systems.. I'm finally retired so I'm getting back into it. I want to switch to all-grain and figured I'd try BIAB before deciding to go full hog with a 3-pot system.

I got to guest brew a Wit with my friend at a local brew pub (Marley's Brewery) here in PA on a Sabco Brew Magic...almost had a stuck bed...it took FOREVER for the brew kettle to get to 14.5 gal. We had to cut the grain bed a couple times to keep it going. Figured I'd like to try and keep all that grain in a bag! Anyway, I have a new brew kettles (15 gal MegaPots) and some bags on the way, so I can't wait to give this a try on the next brew day.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 3 months ago

Welcome Dave, and Thank You for your service!!! :salute:

I took a similar brewing path, 3 years and about 35 brews ago (so far). Decided, why not try this BIAB thing, looks simpler with less equipment. It works great and you will be very happy...

Let me know if there is there are any questions, or if there is anything we can do to help.

dgrim24
Draft
Draft
Australia
Region: Oceania
Preferred Brewing Method: Undecided
City: Brisbane

Post by dgrim24 » 3 months ago

Hi Guys, My name is Dougal. I'm 48, married with 2 teenage daughters (one in High School, the other just starting University). I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I have brewed on and off over the years since my student days, starting with kit & kilo brews and working up to extracts & partial mash. I restarted brewing about 2yrs ago after a long break and this has been the most "serious" I've ever been about it - my wife would say "obsessed". I've pushed the extract/partial mash stuff about as far as I can, so now I'm about to give BIAB a crack as a step up into All Grain brewing. My aim is to build up a single vessel recirculating brew in a basket type system - if I had the money I'd probably just buy a Grainfather, but I like the idea of building my own system and trialling different methods along the way (and I have no money to work with.) I've just picked up a small (40L) pot with a 2200W element, and a grain bag to get me started. I love hoppy beers, so most of my brews are IPA in some form. I already have plenty of basic fermenting gear, including a temp controlled old fridge, so my real change now will be moving to full volume mash & boil. I found this site via some references in a few Facebook groups (Brulosophy & BIAB - Brew in a Bag) + my local Home Brew Club, Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers BABBs. I really enjoy reading about others' experiences & soaking up whatever new knowledge I can find, as well as offering my own limited input where I can. I look forward to diving into what seems to be an absolute wealth of information and knowledge on this site. Cheers.

Mrbenn
Draft
Draft
Great Britain
Region: Europe
Preferred Brewing Method: Fresh Wort Kit (FWK)
City: York

Post by Mrbenn » 3 months ago

Hi,

My name is Tom, I'm from York UK. I was told to check this forum by a work colleague it looks good im looking forward to having a nosey at some recipes.

I have done two All grain brews so far, my first was a Gose. this was my first attempt at brewing and its OK but just OK. I got the salt wrong and I added dried lime which was also a touch strong. that said its still drinkable and I feel i have learned from it.

My second brew is a Cascade APA this is almost a week in the fermenter and smells amazing!

Cheers

Tyrone1Wils
Great Britain
City:

Post by Tyrone1Wils » 3 months ago

Hi All,

Posting from the UK trying to learn all there is about BIAB and to learn the craft to make some great brews, loads of information here to take in.

Looking forward to the start of my journey

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 3 months ago

I hardly ever get the chance to read this thread but I love it when I do.I'm only going to acknowledge the last three posts otherwise I won't know where to stop :)

Dougal, Tom and Tyrone, thanks for posting and welcome :drink:

In reverse order...

Tyrone: There is loads of info here but it's hard to find atm. A major aim of the site is to re-structure it so as the info the reader needs is fast to find. IT hiccoughs have slowed slowed that goal down a lot so just ask if you have any questions and someone will get you sorted.

Tom: A Gose is an ambitious first AG recipe. Good on you! The Cascade APA will be much easier :) (Tyrone above, and many others form the UK here.)

Dougal: Fantastic first post :salute: I lived on the Gold Coast for several years and that's where we got BIAB off the ground. Lots of great brewers where you are. Don't be worried about not having enough money to buy a Grainfather. Also, don't think BIAB is a step up to all-grain. In QLD, I began with three-vessel brewing. It's a long story, but now I see BIAB as very pure all-grain brewing.

All-grain is simply making "sweet liquor." (Check out the Clear Brewing Terminology thread on this site). Making sweet liquor is not a complex process but it is held up as godly which leads to an ungodly amount of attention and unnecessary equipment spent on it. Be happy you can't afford a Grainfather as this will force you into seeing how simple making "sweet liquor" and then boiling it is.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

grey-fox
Draft
Draft
Wales
City:

Post by grey-fox » 3 months ago

Hi all, looking to get into BIAB as an intro to all grain brewing and was advised this is a great place to get help and information! Have some experience with extract brewing but want to take this further and most importantly learn more!

Lumpy5oh
Gold
Gold
Canada
City: Woodstock

Post by Lumpy5oh » 3 months ago

Welcome aboard grey-fox.
Make sure you read up on the terminology posts and let us know when you want to get started. Include us in the planning stages and we can help you down the best path.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga

Bedarö
Sweden
City: Nynäshamn

Post by Bedarö » 3 months ago

Hello there, I'm from Sweden and I'm moving towards BIAB / whole grain and away from extract which I did for a while. I ran into the site while doing research for my initial BIAB-recipes and I'm finding the content very useful so far. I brew as a hobby, I have a more or less regular job, and since alcohol is taxed very heavily homebrewing is a pleasant money maker. I hope to break even in a year or so to justify my expenditures to my wife.

kind regards,

Bedarö

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 3 months ago

Hello Bedaro,

Welcome to the forum!

If you drink half as much beer as I do, payoff will be a lot quicker than that! :drink:

I would recommend buying the Brewing Classic Styles book. Very high quality recipes and we know very well how to scale them using our BIABacus Excel file.

Let us know if there are any questions.

jtindall
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City: Willington

Post by jtindall » 3 months ago

. Where are you from?
2. How did you stumble across the site?
3. What you think of it so far?
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household
Hello, I'm from Georgia I'm in Connecticut, came her in the Navy.
I have never brewed anything.
I searched for a forum on BIAB brewing to further my knowledge. It is such an amazing site.
I got bit by the brewing bug recently and decided to start very slowly and have done about 2 months of research before buying a single piece of equipment. I found BIAB after reading BREW and How To Brew. It seems like the easiest/cheapest set up that can be expanded upon. I want to go directly into AG brewing because it seems like the most authentic form of brewing.
I have a free keg that I want to turn into a keggle and I just bought a bayou classic burner.
Can't wait to explore brewing and drinking beer.

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 2 months ago

Welcome jtindall.
Be sure to get the BIABacus (while logged in) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869&sid=d805f48d5b ... 05de7b3c71
and read the Clear Brewing Terminology pages. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685&sid=d805f48d5b ... 05de7b3c71

Take some time with the BIABacus and ask questions.

I'll send you a name of a fellow in Groton, he brews awesome beers.

janbatis
Canada
City: Montreal

Post by janbatis » 2 months ago

Hi
I am JB, french guy living in Montreal, Canada.
I am quite a newbie in brewing (5 brews till today) but enjoys this a lot!
Brewing 1 or 2 gallons BIAB batches. Today I am brewing my 6th beer, a saison from the recipe How Rye I Am found on homebrewtalk forum. Can't wait to taste it! :drink:
This forum seems exactly what I needed! Glad I found it so I can learn from more experimented brewers and fond new recipes.
Cheers! :thumbs:

jhough
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: clearwater, fl

Post by jhough » 2 months ago

JB, post the recipe ! Biab is the way to go. We are all here to help. Sometimes copying a recipe from a book or another site does not give the correct info to plug into Biabacus. But, we all will help you figure it all out.
J

Brewnoob
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City:

Post by Brewnoob » 2 months ago

Hey all.
Northeast brewer. Gotta couple of extract brews under my belt 3 in a bag so far. Looking to improve my process and quality!

ballantyne
Australia
City:

Post by ballantyne » 2 months ago

My first post!
I did my first BIAB yesterday, using the CandiSyrup Belgian Tripel recipe and my mate who has bought some gear and is doing his second one.
I've got a sore back now!
Pleasingly, I wasn't far off with my OG - the recipe predicted 1.068 and I got 1.063 but the volume is way off - I reckon at least a litre too little.
So now I want to get the BIABabacus and do some more calcs

Astrobrew
Draft
Draft
Wales
City: Stirling

Post by Astrobrew » 2 months ago

Hi,

I live in Scotland and I'll be attempting to brew some beers in the local style initially whilst I learn what to do. Many, many Google searches helped me to choose BIAB as the brewing technique for me and once I'd done that BIABrewer.info was the natural place to end up! I'm yet to start my first brew but at the rate that parcels of equipment keep turning up at my door it's not going to be long. A Deuchars IPA clone is what I'm going to attempt first time. I work full time and I've got two school age kids so time is at a premium, hence my choosing BIAB. I'm pretty excited about this! Even my kids seem to be be quite excited! I'm not sure that's a good thing!

BrewOhio
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Boiled Malt Extract (BME)
City: Columbus

Post by BrewOhio » 2 months ago

Hello. I'm trying to convert all-grain recipes to BIAB - and also adjust my batch size from 5 US Gallons to 2.5 US Gallons. Do you know of any calculator that can do this kind of conversion? Also, I downloaded the "Biabacus" and it is all in metric volumes. (I know, I know...the US is behind the rest of the world in adoption of the metric system). Here's essentially what I'd like to do:

Convert 5 Gallon All Grain Recipes to 2.5 Gallon BIAB Recipes.
Create a shopping list so I can buy the "right amount" of grain and hops for the converted recipe.
Provide me the right water volumes and strike temperatures related to the converted recipe.

I sense that the "Biabacus" can do it - I'm just not sure how to have it create a grain and hop bill using US measurements.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Strom Bros
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Multi-Vessel All-Grain (MVA)
City: Red Lodge

Post by Strom Bros » 2 months ago

Hello fellow brewers!
I'm from Montana and I started brewing extracts back in the mid 90's. After a 15 year break I jumped into a 3 vessel all grain system 2 years ago and have been having a blast.... even made a few keepers! The trouble I'm having is with finding the time! I have recently been investigating biab to try and shave time off of my 6 hour brew day while still making competition worthy brews. From the looks of your site and others, it seems like I have found a solution!
Thanks

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Mad_Scientist » 2 months ago

Welcome BrewOhio and Strom Bros to the forum :salute:

Be sure to get the BIABacus (while logged in) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869&sid=d805f48d5b ... 05de7b3c71
and read the Clear Brewing Terminology pages. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685&sid=d805f48d5b ... 05de7b3c71

The BIABacus is really not hard to get used to as a metric input. One tip on Section C is to enter the grain bill as a percentage (not grams). Many Sections display the other world measurements too. :whistle:
MS

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 2 months ago

Backing up to read a few posts from above, we missed welcoming Astrobrew from Scotland, ballantyne from the land down under and Brewnoob from somewhere in the Northeast of the U.S. Sorry.

BIAB will allow you to focus on the process more than the equipment and you will make good beer. You can be as ambitious as ballantyne with a Belgian Tripel or make an IPA.
Astrobrew, if the kids find out how tasty the grain is, don’t let them eat enough to throw your weights off.

Ask questions when you have them.

Mark TE
Draft
Draft
Australia
City:

Post by Mark TE » 2 months ago

Hi,
Mark here from the land down under the land down under.
Tasmania, Australia.
After 25 years of brewing Coopers kits have yesterday bought a
Crown urn and brew bag and will have my first attempt at a Biab Ipa
Tomorrow.
Many thanks to all involved in this amazing site,
Cheers, Mark.

jhough
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: clearwater, fl

Post by jhough » 2 months ago

Welcome Mark :thumbs: You will find a family here that you did not know you had. A lot of us started with Coopers/ MrBeer kits , but , this is definitely the way to brew all grain. Please remember ....ask questions if it is not linked in the search. As PP would say, and I'm paraphrasing , the only dumb question is the one you ask 5x . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Honestly , we are all help each other out.
J

Goonoli
Draft
Draft
Great Britain
City:

Post by Goonoli » 2 months ago

Hello Biabrewer community. My name is Oli and I'm from sunny England. I have been brewing kits for the last 2 years. I have just upped my game by converting a fridge to get accurate temperature control. I researched into getting into all grain and was thinking about getting a grain father or something similar. Someone then said to me to have a look at biab. From that moment on I have been researching the method and have asked for some equipment for my birthday with the idea of doing my first biab brew day on my birthday. I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with this method, sharing my experiences and absorbing all of the great information on this forum.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 2 months ago

Welcome Goonoli!

Let us know what questions you have, if there are any. Best time to ask equipment questions is before you purchase equipment (or before a loved one purchases for your birthday).

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests