Use this thread to convert recipes to suit your equipment...

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Nuff
Support
Support
Region: Asia
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Re: Use this thread to convert recipes to suit your equipment...

Post by Nuff » 4 months ago

SUPPORT NOTE: Just removed some duplicate posts. Sometimes, after pressing Submit, your post may appear to hang resulting in the user trying to submit the post again. We think we now know what triggers this occurrence and will fix it today,

Nuff said :)

mally
Gold
Gold
Great Britain
Region: Europe
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Stoke on Trent

Post by mally » 4 months ago

PistolPatch wrote:
<span title="19 Jul 2017, 21:52">4 months ago</span>
Has anyone written to Greg Hughes and asked him to explain what his numbers are based on? What software he's using? Has anyone got time to ask him?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3230

Ting tong had some info here that may help?
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life

Milesb0801
Draft
Draft
Great Britain
City: Truro

Post by Milesb0801 » 4 months ago

PistolPatch wrote:
<span title="19 Jul 2017, 21:52">4 months ago</span>
Nice post Scott :thumbs:

And, good on you Miles for getting your teeth into it :salute:

I'm just looking at your last upload and it looks like we might have missed some basics so I'll get into those and attach a corrected file*...

In Section C, you have 4.3, 100 and 16. This should be 4300, 100 and 16.

In Section D, you have 31.50 L on the first line. I see you have grabbed this from what, in the original recipe, is called "Total Liquor." This is one example of the many problems you'll find when trying to copy recipes, even from books and magazines. The terminology they use is not clear and, worse still, the critical numbers are often missing. This makes things very hard. I am extremely experienced at interpreting recipes and it's taken me at least 15 minutes to get a grasp on this one and another 30 minutes at least to write the post. So, don't feel bad if you've been struggling ;)

In fact, this recipe just doesn't add up at all I'm afraid.

*Miles, if you really want to brew this recipe, I can do my best interpretation of it but some numbers won't match those in the book because the recipe is just too ambiguous. What would you like to do?

:scratch:
PP

Has anyone written to Greg Hughes and asked him to explain what his numbers are based on? What software he's using? Has anyone got time to ask him?
Hi Pistolpatch,

The original recipe is a bit vague to be honest, can you see this photo of the book I attached in my first post? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG2p ... VRak0xNHBj

I have been looking at the estimated volumes and have some questions about if it adds up, seeing as the max volume of my vessel of 27 litres? Is the mash volume calculated by the volume that will be achieved once the grains are in the vessel?

If you could help me in any way you could that would be terrific!

Miles.

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
City:

Post by Mad_Scientist » 4 months ago

Your file indicates a 36.6L kettle, is that correct? Yet you say 27L.

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
Region: Oceania
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 4 months ago

I'll have another look tomorrow Miles*. (Thanks for the link mally; will review that as well :peace: )

Meanwhile, Miles, the question MS asks above is a good and very important one. If your Kettle matches the dimensions in your BIABacus file, your kettle will hold 36.6 L.

As for the pic, yep, that came up fine.

Besides answering Mad_Scientist's question, the other important thing is to let us know if you've read the "stickies" I mentioned in an earlier post. Scott also mentioned one of those stickies, Clear Brewing Terminology, which, for example, defines Mash Volume. (If the definition there is not clear, just copy it here and someone will expand on it.)

* I said I'd look tomorrow, but it's probably more appropriate I wait until you give more info on the above.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Milesb0801
Draft
Draft
Great Britain

Post by Milesb0801 » 4 months ago

Hi guys,

So the kettle has 27 litres written on the bottom label, however the quantity given by biabacus might be more acurate?

Are the recipes from the i've got a bit tricky to convert then? If it's too much faff i do gave graham wheelers book!

Thanks for the help, i have reviewed the terminology.

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 4 months ago

Sorry for the slow reply Miles, I had to do microsurgery on my motherboard :argh:

Stockpots are often labelled for what weight/volume their handles will support while carrying them. The BIABacus gives you the real volume.

I think the best bet for you would be to let us know what beer styles you like and we'll give you a recipe or...

If you have Wheeler's book, I know that there are some of his recipes on the site that have already been calculated, especially in this thread. Go towards the top of this page and type 'Graham Wheeler' into the "Search this topic" box and see how you go.

And, read more of the stickies so as you know what recipes have "integrity" and which ones don't ;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Milesb0801
Draft
Draft
Great Britain

Post by Milesb0801 » 3 months ago

Ok I have made a few changes to the file... does it still not add up somewhere? I did want to try and get my head around this, but do you think there is vital information missing that means it won't work?

I was wondering if it would be easier for me to design my own recipe, instead of converting using BIABacus. I took a quick look at Beersmith the other day and even though I think I got it configured to my equipment it didn't seem to be working as I wanted... :dunno:

Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 3 months ago

Hey Miles,

Let me take a stab at helping you again on this...

On the BIABacus I would fill out other areas necessary (sections E through H...and maybe I) should you like the final result of this beer - to be able to repeat it in the future. This includes mash temperatures and times, yeast, etc. We normally like to mash for 90 minutes total and do a 90 minute boil. Doesn't mean you can't make good beer with reduced times, just that "best practice" is to extend this for best final result. Longer boil time will also give more evaporation, so hopefully the pot is large enough to allow this. Looks like you are good to go, and could even brew a larger volume batch if desired.

I can't vouch for the recipe and our ability to copy it. BUT...following others' comments on this thread, it sounded like others helped to dial in what everything meant so to be able to copy the recipe. (???) Seems fairly close. If you are close, what the heck, give it a whirl... At a minimum it will make beer, similar to the recipe you are trying to follow. Could be good. Give it a shot and for certain let us know how you like it.

Certainly following a good recipe when fairly new is preferred to just guessing yourself. And later too... My wife is a great cook, but although she could probably do it, seldom throws things together without referring to a good recipe. It's the same with high quality recipes in brewing. I like the BCS Book (Brewing Classic Styles) because of the ability we have to know how to copy the recipe and what high quality they all are. Something about THIS recipe intreagued you at the start... My recommendation - get as close as you can and take a swing at it. Give it a try. Do follow our "best practices"... See what you think. Might be great. Then for the future, also pick up that BCS book. Add it to your resources in your recipe cache.

I hope this works. Seems like you are within 15 minutes of finishing setting up your BIABacus, being done with recipe formulation, purchasing ingredients and giving it a go! ;)
Last edited by Scott on 31 Jul 2017, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

shetc
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City: Pembroke Pines

Post by shetc » 3 months ago

Hey Guys!!!

Just finished drinking my second batch of Charlie Papazian's Silver Dollar Porter based on Mad_Scientist's interpretation of the recipe:
http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... ter#p44891
It is yum so I thought I would give another Papazian recipe a try. Using MS' technique, I entered the Phat Fired Weizenbock recipe (Joy of Home Brewing, ed. 3, pg. 309) into the Biabacus -- the recipe grain bill balances for a setting of VIF = 17.0 L.

Question: If I want 18.92 L VIF (5 gallons), can I now just enter that value? Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shetc
Gold
Gold
United States of America

cricket mountain.png

Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Mad_Scientist » 3 months ago

I think your fermentation is out of control Steve :o

shetc
Gold
Gold
United States of America

Mad_Scientist wrote:
<span title="22 Aug 2017, 00:32">3 months ago</span>
I think your fermentation is out of control Steve :o
Ah ha! Got your attention, MS :lol:

shetc
Gold
Gold
United States of America

Post by shetc » 2 months ago

shetc wrote:
<span title="14 Aug 2017, 08:27">3 months ago</span>
Hey Guys!!!

Just finished drinking my second batch of Charlie Papazian's Silver Dollar Porter based on Mad_Scientist's interpretation of the recipe:
http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... ter#p44891
It is yum so I thought I would give another Papazian recipe a try. Using MS' technique, I entered the Phat Fired Weizenbock recipe (Joy of Home Brewing, ed. 3, pg. 309) into the Biabacus -- the recipe grain bill balances for a setting of VIF = 17.0 L.

Question: If I want 18.92 L VIF (5 gallons), can I now just enter that value? Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks,

Steve
No one?

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 2 months ago

How'd we miss you shetc? :o Sorry Steve!

I'm not sure what you mean by MS's technique? When you say the grain bill balances at 17.0L, that doesn't necessarily mean you have the original recipe interpreted correctly; in fact, it's not sounding quite right to me. It's hard for me to tell without seeing the original recipe and your file.

With external recipes (non-BIABacus ones) what you are trying to do really is discover the VAW (Volume of Ambient Wort) of the original recipe. This is very really given in external recipes. Here's the typical situation we are faced with....

VAW = VIF + KFL
VIF (Volume into Fermenter) = Usually some "batch size" figure is supplied but we don't know if that means VIF or VAW
KFL (Kettle to Fermenter Loss) = Pretty much never given
EIK (Efficiency into Kettle) = Usually not given but if an "efficiency" percentage is given, we don't know if it is EIK or EIF
Grain Bill = Given

So, what we have to do is some intelligent guessing. Here's the first method I try...

1. Type in grain bill and weights on left of Section C
2. In Section W, change KFL to zero and set auto-efficiency to 75%* if no "efficiency figure has been given
3. If a "batch size" is given, type that into VIF in Section B

* This effectively turns the VIF in Section B to VAW. 75% is the most common % users tend to use in "static" software (other brewing software).

If, after doing the above, the right hand weight in Section C matches the left, then you would be in the very rare situation in which the original recipe author meant "batch size" = VAW (not VIF) and the efficiency figure they supplied (or the 75% you guessed at) means EIK.

It's usually much harder than that though (often impossible) and requires a bit of knowledge of not only the poor terminology used but also the different ways in which other software can be used. It's a massive mess.

Let's say you did get things balancing with the above, then what you would do is type the VAW you have determined into the top of Section C, delete the zero and 75 you typed in Section W and then finally, over-write the VIF in Section B with the volume you want.

Of course, all this would be totally unnecessary if all recipes were published with VAW. (That and the grain bill weights is all that is needed.)

So mate, I'd need the original recipe and your file to check if your "guess" of the original recipe's VAW looks okay.

Once again, really sorry you had to wait so long. Oops!

:peace:
Pat

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests