2nd BIAB recipe for review

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Topic author
Tomas
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

2nd BIAB recipe for review

Post by Tomas » 11 months ago

I have taken Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and adapted it with BIAB to my kettle for my 2nd brew.  The recipe is outside the BJCP style guidelines both for OG and color, so I reduced the target OG, but have not made an adjustment for color.
Please take a look at it and advise of any areas you think may be an issue.  Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Re: 2nd BIAB recipe for review

Post by Scott » 11 months ago

Hi Tomas,

Let me see if I can help you a little bit...

First, the BIABacus is international file and uses European / Australian #s first and American style after that. So remember that EBC numbers for color are about double our American SRM numbers. So the 33 EBC is within the 18-35 EBC range; the recipe color and OG are okay, towards the higher end, but within style guidelines. That said, if you want to reduce OG and resulting ABV - that's okay... I do it for some recipes as well...  

Only other thing that could trip you up just a little...yeast attenuation, and forecasting final beer. The default attenuation is 75%. Looking at Wyeast 1084, estimate from manufacturer says 71-75%. I would put 73% in the BIABacus file and override the default. Should be more accurate. Not off by far, and who knows...it "could" attenuate on the higher end. But I would estimate in the mid range.

That's all I saw...

Topic author
Tomas
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by Tomas » 11 months ago

Thanks for taking a look at the recipe Scott. This morning I compared the BJCP and World Beer Cup style guidelines for Irish Red & there's both overlap & differentiation. Primary differences I found are higher color in the World Cup (22-36 EBC vs. 18-28 EBC) & the ABV range was lower in the World Cup (4.1-4.6 vs. 3.8-5.0).

Anyway, I'm brewing for the experience & enjoyment, not for competition. Would you adjust the recipe to fit the "official" style or go with what Jamil & John Palmer originally created?

As a side note, could you look at the file I posted from my 1st brew & provide some feedback, understanding that I don't have confidence that my gravity measurements when & how taken are accurate.

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Post by Scott » 11 months ago

Have time for a quick reply... I would go with Jamil's recipe without any real changes for this batch. After brewed, if desired it is easy to adjust and make changes to later brews. Get a "benchmark"...then you will know what to expect with his recipe. It will be good, and can always be adjusted later.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests