Maxi-BIAB

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Topic author
BufferNuggets
Draft
Draft
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Peoria, IL

Maxi-BIAB

Post by BufferNuggets » 8 months ago

So I am moving to AG from partial mash (never did extract only), and BIAB seems like a logical next step. So much so I have the bag on the way. I was digging into all the BIAB knowledge here and stumbled on an older thread for Maxi-BIAB. I had already found a lot of threads and info about sparging with BIAB as a means to increase efficiency and the post boil dilution seems fairly common to hit your OG for fermentation. I just wanted to know if anyone has updated info on this topic or a reason I should steer clear since it was years ago at this point the thread was closed. I still intend to do mini-BIAB as outlined on this forum but thought Maxi-BIAB might be a good way to drop some large volume brews down. 

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Re: Maxi-BIAB

Post by Scott » 7 months ago

Best practice is to use Traditional Full-Volume BIAB. We consider this to be a Continuous Sparge, Continuous full grain contact with 100% of the water going into the boil. And mash (/Continuous Sparge - combined process) for a full 90 minutes, then a 90 minute Boil. Don't cut down your mash time or your efficiency will likely suffer.

When we hear of efficiency problems with BIAB, it normally happens when people try to get "cute" with the process... Examples include less than full volume mash with sparging, less contact time in the mash, etc. If your pot is too small and you are making a larger batch, it is possible to withhold water, do a sparge / dunk sparge / etc. to try and make up some of the lost efficiency. I've done this when making extra large batches. But it's lots more work. Best practice is the traditional, full volume BIAB process!

Best of luck to you, and let us know if more questions.  :luck: 

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by ShorePoints » 7 months ago

BufferNuggets, See Section W of the BIABacus for where to input "water used in a sparge" if you choose to go that way.  If your target VIF and gravity give the red warning about mash volume approaching or exceeding the kettle volume, it is either time to get a bigger kettle, make a smaller batch or use Section W. It will reduce your mash volume as the sparge is poured over the hot wet grain bag after it has been pulled from the kettle. You have to have a plan for how to do that. I tried using Section W with 2 to 3 liters for increased batch size / increased efficiency on a 5.5 gallon (20.8 L) VIF scale and found that I got about one more 12 oz (355 mL) bottle compared to maxing out the kettle and not using Section W. It was not too much more work with my side-by-side gas burners, but I rarely consider doing it now. Your choice. :peace:

Topic author
BufferNuggets
Draft
Draft
United States of America
City: Peoria, IL

Post by BufferNuggets » 7 months ago

Thanks for the info!  :salute: 

It does/did seem to be a point of contention  when it was talked about so I am glad I asked about it now. I will update this IF i ever do it. I think a few standard min-BIAB may be better to start with. 

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests