Please see my file and advise...

Where new site members and/or new brewers can get to find their way to great info and ask any questions they like.

Topic author
HomebrewJp
Draft
Draft
South Africa
Region: Africa
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City: Durban

Please see my file and advise...

Post by HomebrewJp » 8 months ago

Hey there guys.

The attached file is of my brew day yesterday.
I dont think it went too badly. Its just my post boil gravity and evaporation rate isnt what it should be.

I know numbers off 1 brew isnt the gospel, i would just like a little feed back is all.

Thanks guys.

Jp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HomebrewJp on 03 Apr 2017, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

ShorePoints
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Re: Please see my file and advise...

Post by ShorePoints » 8 months ago

jp - relax, it's going to turn out to be good beer. :clap:
I see that you have three hop additions of Amarillo pellets. The original hop bill has the same AA% for each. Your additions (on the right side of Section D) have a different AA% for each of the three additions. That could be exactly what you have on hand - three different lots of Amarillo hops, each with a different AA%. :scratch: If that is not the case and you altered the AA% for some reason, then you will get a different result each time you brew this recipe. That's OK.
Use what you experience when drinking this batch to evaluate the impact of hops added at the given times. Those added @ 60 min can be considered to contribute bitterness only. There is a tiny flavor piece, but I have seen others write that for bittering, hops can be chosen from a wide selection and higher AA% means fewer grams/oz and potentially lower cost. I think that is a matter subject to interpretation and individual taste.
I see that you pull the hopsack @ 10 min. That indicates to me that your 20 min and 5 min hops were in the wort for 30 and 15 min respectively. Make note of that for comparison to future batches.
At 30 min post FO, you whirlpool and start counterflow chiller. In light of some recent forum talk about whirlpool, how do you set things up so that the whirlpool does what you want (trub cone?) while chilling? If it works, more power to you. :salute:
It has been my bottling experience that the BIABacus recommended amount of corn sugar gives me under-carbonated beer, so I adjust upward. YMMV. Be careful so as to avoid making bottle bombs. :sneak:
These are really picky things I have mentioned. Your file looks great, there is nothing to worry about. When you fill Section R (your FG), the only thing left to add would be some tasting notes.The efficiency numbers shown are what I would call normal for me. Do not get hung up on them - just look at them over the course of time (where they are for comparable batches on different days) to see if they are going up or down.
Keep up the good work. :drink:

Topic author
HomebrewJp
Draft
Draft
South Africa
Region: Africa
City: Durban

Post by HomebrewJp » 8 months ago

Thank you for the quick reply Shorepoints

Its greatly appreciated.

As for the hops, thanks you for bringing that to my attention, i was busy showing my daughter how the biabacus works.
I have fixed my original file to match the correct AA%

As for the whirl-pooling and cfc-ing, lets just say that didn't work out as planned, but its a learning curve. ;)

I am hoping that i can get my numbers to match a bit better on my next few brews.
I just need my fermenter to now finished up so i can get a crack at the next brew.

Regards
Jp

PistolPatch
Gold
Gold
Australia
Region: Oceania
City:

Post by PistolPatch » 8 months ago

Congratulations JP and, as ShorePoints noted, great job on the BIABacus :thumbs:
HomebrewJp wrote:
8 months ago
I know numbers off 1 brew isnt the gospel, i would just like a little feed back is all.
That's great to read. It's very easy to worry about numbers too much on little evidence. ShorePoints, as always, has covered everything :salute:

He asks about the whirlpool as you'll find it pretty much impossible to do one with any protrusions in your kettle. What you can do instead, is use your bag as a hop sock during the boil. Just hang it so it floats around lazily and no need to remove it until after you've finished draining the kettle.

As for numbers, all you can do before your next brew is check through this list and see if anything obvious pops out. On your next brew, take extra care to do double-checks (grain weights) and take several sets of volume and gravity measurements. If the low efficiency numbers occur again on your next brew, we can do a bit more of an examination.

I actually prefer that recipe with a lower OG so as SP said, you have no worries there ;)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests