Phosphorus mineral content in finished beer

A more social area to talk about brewing or anything else you like. You can even just rant and ramble to yourself here. ;)

Topic author
Mad_Scientist
Gold
Gold
United States of America
Region: USA & Canada
Preferred Brewing Method: Single-Vessel All-Grain (SVA)
City:

Phosphorus mineral content in finished beer

Post by Mad_Scientist » 1 year ago

I need to start watching my total phosphorus daily intake. I assume a lighter abv% beer has less. By lowering the OG in BIABacus I see the kj value drop in Section R.

I found one source (in a book) with a range of 90-400 mg phosphorus per liter.

Does anybody have any advise?

MS

joshua
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by joshua » 1 year ago

M_S, sorry to know you live in South Alabama.

Your problem comes from the phosphates derived from the malt.

And Also, you have "soft" water.

If you can find some "Hard Water", as those have a Lot of Calcium Ion's, you can Brew the brew and the Extra Calcium Ions will grab the Phosphorus, and create Calcium Phosphate, that in very Insoluble.

I do not have a PhD in Chemistry, but look over http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Biotec ... water2.htm

and brew beers like Burton, Midlands, and pure Rocky Mtn. and move away from Pilsner(needing Soft Water).
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

BDP
Craft
Craft
Canada
Region: Please select one...
Preferred Brewing Method: Please select one from below...
City:

Post by BDP » 1 year ago

M_S, I don't imagine that phosphorous content is related to ABV%, but likely more to do with the type and/or level of roast of the malt. More research required!

You have obviously looked at reducing other food item intake that may be high in phosphorous, in order to compensate for the contribution from the beer. I don't have any medical or nutrition related qualifications, so best to talk to your health practitioner, which I'm sure you've also already done.

Stay well!
BDP

Scott
Gold
Gold
United States of America
City:

Post by Scott » 1 year ago

Hi MS,

Hopefully you already got some good answers from your doctor about this... I did a quick internet search (which you probably / may have done as well), and got a couple links you might find helpful.

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/phos ... n-beer.php

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/p ... beverages/

The Whole Foods info shows 77mg in a Stout vs 27mg in a Pale, with 180g of beer. No idea what brand, etc. Wonder how we calculate this from our ingredients + fermentation process...? :scratch:

Diet and Fitness link has per 12 oz cans of beer with Budweiser (46mg) and Bud light (40mg) listed. Lowest beer Michelob Ultra at 28mg of phosphorous per 12 oz / 354g.

Even if you have to have to dial it back to a lower alcohol or lighter beer it would be hard to not make it much better than the "mass market" beer of today. Again, I wonder how we could calculate this...with our ingredients and fermentation process?

For sure let us know what you come up with. Whatever health concern(s) you are facing, I certainly hope you can get a handle on it...

EDIT: Just reread Joshua's note where he thinks certain water types (hard water) end up producing less phosphorous beer than soft water... Interesting thought, especially if true. Anyone on here a chemist...? Effect of water type vs grain type vs alcohol content vs...??? Some of this stuff would have to have easy answers, or easy way to test and come to conclusions...

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests