I’m an Italian homebrewer and I have started some moths ago a project in order to build a single vessel electric heated brewing system ..something similar to the well known Speidel Braumeister . The main driver behind this project was to build an “all in one” system very compact, light, easy to use, easy to clean system that implements the BIAB process and brewing philosophy
Now I’m completing last construction details and I’m near to close the “make” phase and start testing the system. In order to understand all the fundamentals of BIAB brewing I have registered the forum and started reading the posts. Lot of useful information and ideas … and viceversa I would like to share my project details open to any comments and suggestions
Let’s start from some construction details and schema !
Here is some printout of Google sketchUP 3D CAD and a 2D drawings
I will use for the external vessel a stainless steel thermo pot with external diameter 40cm and internal 35cm…the suitable eight is 40cm…so I have a total volume of 38L. The use of a thermo insulated pot should help boiling and mashing with lower power.
Inside the external vessel there is the “malt pipe” . I have used a light stainless steal stove pipe . The diameter is 25cm in order to have enough space for heating element, pump inlet/outlet and so on. Few centimeter from the bottom I have inserted a polyethylene false bottom cut form a cheese mold. The polyethylene is food grade and can resist to hot temperature, moreover it’s easier to cut and shape than stainless steal. The bottom of cheese mold has the right size hole and they are a little bit conical.
In order to fix the filter to the pipe I take the advantage that the pipe is conical and one side has a slightly higher diameter. Everything is sealed by food grade silicone
Considering empty space on the bottom and 1-2 CM of difference on the top the malt pipe I have a total volume of 18-19 L ( 25 cm radius x 40 cm height)
The pipe must be pressed to the bottom in order to seal it. This is one of the most critical point…I have tested different sealing solution but with poor results…now I’m waiting for a custom designed silcon U channel extruded seal in order to fix the problem.
The heating is provided by a general purpose bend to shape heating element…the total power is 2,5Kw and the length it’s perfect in order to create 2 coils inside the external vessel. I have also bought a gland kit in order to fix and insulate the terminal
At the end there is the circulating pump…I think is a well known component for the recirculation…Laing Ecocric E1 with ½’’ inlet/outlet. It has been fixed on the bottom of the external vessel
Pump and heating element are controlled by a panel where I have inserted a PID controller and SSR relay and all the switches and cables
I have added 4 legs to support the external vessel…some industrial surplus with fine regulation of the height…I have modified in order to join to the bottom of the vessel and the complete set up is very compact and light.
Hope you like my assembly and I will update as soon I have solved the sealing issue and I start testing BIAB brewing