My Guillotine Brew Rig!

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hellow new friends...

I have been brewing for years and was well under way in building a traditional AG Brew rig before I found this site. As with most of my projects interest turns into addiction and i scrapped my previous design and started to fabricate by Guillotine rig.

She will Hold a 100 QT pot which i will have set up for 10 gal batches. I am hoping with the size i will have plenty of room for some high velocity beers as well. Winch system with bag and my pot came with a strainer basket which i could use as well to releave some strain on big mashes. Have a control panel which will be set up with thermo controller for heat, pump system for sparging and chilling, Working Light, and Light stack to trigger off events so i know when burner is on or pump running, etc...

Rig will have thermo controller, 30 plate wort chiller, and March pump to circulate. simple...
Frame is fabricated, painted and ready for accessories. Control box is 1/2 wired and expect to start working with fittings soon. Any input would be appreciated as I am new to this method of brewing.

NB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Awesome, the guillotine rig is a great idea! The only drawback I can see is that it does not provide any means to swing the strainer pot/bag out of the way once it has drained (you still have to muscle that load of spent grain off the winch). Love the light stack. :thumbs:

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Is it collapsible?

With a rig that compact and powerfull it might be nice to be able to transport it
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Thanks for the comments...
Having an arm which swings would have been a good idea! looks like i will need to keep working out...

Regarding transport. I have a 2" pipe welded on the back which fits my trailer hitch receptical so i can haul it anywhere.

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Perhaps you can make the uprights pivot at the base (normally pinned to remain upright) so you can just swing it forward/backward to lower the strainer pot/bag? Just a thought.....

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Something like this with a scissor jack so you could crank the jack handle forward/backward to tip the uprights?:
Last edited by thughes on 13 Jun 2012, 10:45, edited 3 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #7 made 7 years ago
Damn, thats over engineering at its best, you could lift a car with that rig - I love it.

A swing arm from the top from might help and require less modification. Mount it where you currently have your uppermost pulley

Post #8 made 7 years ago
Welcome to the forum NB and congrats on your sculpture :clap:.
Northern Brewer wrote:Any input would be appreciated as I am new to this method of brewing.
I always say keep it simple... Oh hold on, we have electronics and a pump :P.

Seriously though...

thughes suggestion above of being able to swing the basket (assuming the basket will have bag inside it as well) will be very important. All your hard work needs to result in something that really makes your brew day as easy as possible.

With the electronics and the pump, you will need to look into your re-circulation design as a few blokes here have had to fiddle round a bit before they got it right. I think thughes can help you out there.

When, when we incorporate a pump we often don't hink about one of it's most important jobs and that is cleaning. How will you use the pump to thoroughly clean your lines, plate chiller etc? Also bear in mind that ball-valves have a dead space in them which can hold wort. The only way to clean them is to pull them apart or open and close them many times during cleaning. Pinch valves would be a better solution but no one has really explored these in great detail as yet.

If you haven't bought the plate chiller yet, consider an immersion chiller. Whilst they mightn't look as neat, in regards to avoiding infections, having a trouble-free chill and kettle drain as well as maintenance, they are leagues ahead of other chillers.

Can't wait to see your final sculpture. Good on you :thumbs:.
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Jun 2012, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 7 years ago
PP,
I see your in Perth, I have a business meeting in your fine city end of the month. My first trip down under and hear great things. Looking forward to it!
I understand cleaning can be an issue; I have bought 3 piece valves which can be taken apart to disinfect. And 30 plate chiller already bought. I will just have to be diligent when cleaning. I have an idea on how to support the grain bag which I will try to modify. Even if it just creates a swing I’m sure I will manage. Rarely will I ever brew alone. Reason for 10 gal set up is so my buddy and I can brew together and each walk away with a keg.
Let the wives talk, men brew and drink…
Have some photos of the painted rig… The grey area is high temp paint.
Control box next…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #11 made 7 years ago
I do 10-15 gal batches. I have a stationary sky hook with a 2:1 pulley. 4:1 would be better for the 12KG Grainbills :)

Anyway, it's easy enough to pull the bag down and to the side of the lot as you lower it, no need for a swing out arm.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #12 made 7 years ago
Northern Brewer wrote:PP,
I see your in Perth, I have a business meeting in your fine city end of the month. My first trip down under and hear great things.
PM's under way! Hopefully we'll be able to let you taste the APA's we brewed last weekend and then show you a bit of Fremantle :party:. Or, bring your rig and we'll do a brew :lol:.

Rig's looking good and not to worry on the ball-valves etc. Pulling them apart on every brew would take ages so just make sure they get a good clean and sanitise after each brew with plenty of turns on and off. Try and rig your valves etc so that the pump can be running and feeding 2 valves during cleaning. That way you can turn one on and off (open and close) without over-loading the pump if that makes sense.

Smelling the valves using a hose and your nose :P before each brew is the easiest way to make sure they are fine. Same with the plate chiller.

Here's to drinks in Ozland :peace:,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 14 Jun 2012, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Automation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests