Post #2 made 3 years ago
If you add sugar to prime, you will affect the ABV.
If you force carbonate, the beer will remain the same ABV.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 3 years ago
BDP

As Mally says, If you add sugar you give the yeast a bit more to eat and hence a higher ABV.

You can carbonate by either adding sugar at packaging time (Priming) or by adding CO2 manually (forced carbonation). I prefer priming, but only because it's slightly easier and I have the time.

Majorphill

Post #4 made 3 years ago
Thanks folks for the responses. :salute: So then ABV% should increase the more priming sugar is added (section Q)? Up to some upper limit I would imagine?

I wasn't sure if this really meant 'naturally conditioned', i.e. conditioned without adding priming sugar. To my mind, the words 'natural' and 'priming' don't really go together in the context of adding sugar, only because the alternative seems more 'natural'. Clear Brewing Terminology, anyone? :)

Cheers!
BDP

Post #5 made 3 years ago
I look at natural as in nature i.e. something biological is making your fizz.
Unnatural is a stonking big cylinder full of c02, and a hairy armed man to open the valve! :lol:
G B

Post #6 made 3 years ago
BDP wrote:So then ABV% should increase the more priming sugar is added (section Q)? Up to some upper limit I would imagine?
It should BDP but I have not programmed that precision in for several reasons...

1. No other program, commercial or free, even begins to address this issue (like so many other issues).

2. It would be very easy to program in a 'proper program' but very difficult in a spreadsheet. I have already over-loaded the spreadsheet in many facets. Getting this priming facet exact is a low priority. The default I have used for this will be very good on nearly all recipes.

3. I'll think on the clear terminology thing but, firstly, you are correct. Like so many other brewing terms we have addressed, I am sure that this area is another one we can make easier. I'm flat out atm and am only answering questions on the forum now as a bit of a relax/ret/break so, please BDP (and anyone else), think hard on this area and either PM me or post your ideas/solutions here.

:salute:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 19 Nov 2014, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 3 years ago
PistolPatch, How much Sugar is used in this Priming Situation??

I prime with 2-4gr per Liter, That amount of sugar, When it is planned to be fermented, gives much less than 1% ABV, Much Less.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 3 years ago
In 1 example of BIABacus it made 0.2% ABV difference if natural was/wasn't selected (1.050 O.G. wort).
G B

Post #9 made 3 years ago
Mally, Good Data.

In Soda making, they prime At the same rate WE do, and No one notices the ABV.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 3 years ago
Hi PP, it's good to know how to interpret this feature, so thanks very much for the info. The terminology in general is the clearest of any that I've come across. It's just this one I struggled with, and I'll let you know if inspiration strikes.

Cheers :salute:

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests