carboy warmer

Post #1 made 4 years ago
Hi, anyone here using a FermWrap carboy heater? I ferment my ale in a plastic 6g carboy, in my crawlspace (aka basement). I also store my bottled beer there, so don't want to heat the whole area above 15C or so. I don't have a temperature controller yet, but it sounds like I can regulate the amount of heating by altering the surface area taped to the carboy. Would appreciate any feedback or comments from anyone who's done this.

Thanks,
BDP

Post #2 made 4 years ago
I have not used a FermWrap.

I do used a seedling heater mat, under the Carboy, that can add up to 20F to the Carboy.

If you can check the temperature of the Carboy once or twice a day, it should be alright.

The Mass of the Carboy will help regulate the temperature and Insulating the Carboy, will help Stabilize the fermentation.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 4 years ago
Not a carboy, but on my small SS conical, I use a medium/large reptile heating mat just lying against the side of the fermenter, pinned underneath a layer of insulation (neoprene jacket in my case). The heater covers about a third of the circumstance of the fermenter, fwiw. I pluged it into my temp controller and let it do its thing. Works well.

Post #4 made 4 years ago
Like Joshua, I also used a seedling heater w/thermostat. I've thought of simply submersing the fermenter in a large bucket and adding a small aquarium heater to maintain temps.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #5 made 4 years ago
HbgBill, I have used a 15 gallon laundry Tub inside a 20Gallon Tub with "Great Stuff" Foam filled between the Tubs, and 2 Aquarium heaters, and a Temperature controlled....

One problem, the fermenter will float if the Water gets above 60% of the Wort/Beer.

It seems beer has much less density then water.

It works Very well during the Summer to Cool the fermenter with Frozen 2 liter bottles of Water. You can use those Blue Ice packs for Picnic coolers/Mash Tuns.

Post #6 made 4 years ago
I saw a writeup on something like this on HBT, I believe. I'd guess it takes a lot of Great Stuff. Oh, I remember.. it was a mash tun insulator. Built inside a rope handled bucket like they sell at WalMart. Wrap foil around the fermenter, block it off the floor of the big bucket and fill with foam. I'm guessing it would work great.
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #7 made 4 years ago
If your going to make an Insulation Jacket, You could wrap the Fermenter in Polyethylene Film and keep it smooth sided.

Polyethylene Film can used as a mold release, since Great Stuff does not stick very well to the Poly Film, that way the Fermenter can be removed for cleaning.

Post #8 made 4 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions and input, guys. The aquarium heater setup sounds really interesting - some of them have a built-in thermostat as well - but I think with a plastic carboy it's going to float. Maybe a glass carboy would be better using this approach. But on the whole it will be too tricky to set this up in my crawlspace. It will either be a seedling warming pad or the fermwrap.

Cheers
:drink:

Post #10 made 4 years ago
I have recently been using an aquarium heater in a tub of water (that the fermenter sits in), same as Joshua mentioned. Though I just use a tub with water and the fermenter (none of that "great stuff").
I could never get the heater to run effectively on its own though. It would cycle the temp wildly, in fact the lowest I could get it was 28C (set on 20C).
Probably to do with the power of the heater to volume of water it is heating being way off recommended.

Anyway, what I found much better was to use my STC temp controller that I normally use for the fridge (again same as Joshua mentioned). This works great regardless of water volume or heater power. I also used a submersible aquarium pump to circulate too.

BDP - Even though the heated water doesn't fully reach the level of your wort (i.e. before it floats) it will still work OK in controlling the wort temperature so don't worry about the plastic carboy.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests