it's always different

Post #1 made 3 years ago
Hi,

Boy, am I learning that every brew day is different and throws up it's own curious array of gotchas. I don't use a hop sock, and always whirlpool the chilled wort before transferring to the fermenter. For a 5g batch, my KFL has averaged about 2L, even when using up to 3oz of hop pellets. There is usually a tidy pile of trub in the center of the kettle.

With my latest batch, using nearly 4oz of hop pellets, I ended up with about 4.5L of trub, which was a wort/hop sludge evenly covering the bottom of the kettle. Half the hops were a new variety (Styrian Golding). I'm not sure if they were processed differently or what. So that was interesting, and I can only think that next time I'll use a hop sock and hopefully this will reduce some of the sludge.

Not wanting to lose all this wort, I decanted into two x 2L bottles, and let it settle for about 5 hours. I was able to decant about 1.5L of clear wort from this, boil it, cool it, and added to the now actively fermenting wort (7 hours after pitching). Is this a frowned upon practice in terms of how it might affect the ferment?

As an aside, I overshot the ferm temp: 74F instead of 68F. The subsequent blowup took me over an hour to clean up. Argh! :headhit: . Hoping this won't affect the flavor too badly: Landlord recipe; Wyeast 1469

Something else I learned this time around is the effect of cold temperatures on propane tank performance. With ambient hovering around 0C, my boil gradually diminished over time until it was hardly a boil at all. With 10 minutes to go, I remembered I had a spare tank, so swapped out the one with nearly a centimeter of frosting on it. The improvement in boil vigor was remarkable, and I regret that I didn't think of it sooner.

That was my last brew day for 2014. I need a rest now :)

Cheers,
BDP

Post #2 made 3 years ago
BDP, It sounds like your in a Hurry. If you are, get a Large Strainer example.....

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/revi ... tegory/32/

When you done draining the Kettle, Pour the Rest thru the Screen in the Fermenter.

The little bit of Trub, that gets thru the Strainer is really good for the Yeast.

It will take a few Minutes for all to drain thru, but you will only lose about 1 liter in the Strainer sludge.

if you need a funnel to match the above strainer see....http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/10-funnel.html
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 3 years ago
Just totally agreed with you in another thread Josh but in this one I am going to disagree :P. I would only advise a strainer in the rarest of set-ups. You'd have to be brewing small batches indoors etc, etc, etc. I think trub management is much safer and generally easier and more efficient when done inside the kettle as BDP is doing.

As for the variance, I'm surprised you are not getting that variance more often. I went through a long period of not using a hop sock and my 'Kettle to Fermentor Loss (KFL)' used to vary wildly and was not even related that closely to the hop bill :). The hop sock will definitely help even things out but still expect a variance from one brew day to the next, even using the same recipe. It happens :).

;)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests