Water in logan QLD export stout

Post #1 made 2 years ago
I have been trying to get a report on the water thats in the Logan water supply. I cant seem to find a detailed breakdown.
I have A Fractional still and was wondering if I could distill my next homebrew water batch and then adjust the water to suit a Guiness Extra Stout export type brew? I think I read somewhere that dublin has a particular type of water used by Guiness?
Or does anyone here know the properties of logan water in south east queenslnd and how to adjust it to suit this beer?

Cheers!

Post #2 made 2 years ago
Welcome to the forum littledingle :salute:,

You live very close to where we got BIAB (single-vessel, full-volume brewing) off the ground :drink:. A few things...

I saw in another thread your question on Coopers Carbonation Drops. It's one 'lolly' for stubbies (375ml) and two lollies for PET bottles (750ml). That has worked well for me on the occasions when I do bottle but they have generally been with lagers or pale ales using "ordinary" yeasts. As goulaigan mentioned in that other thread, we are doing more research into what really affects carbonation in this thread. Throw in your results!

Water

There's a lot to say here and, then again, not too much.

Firstly, water is an advanced subject. If your water tastes okay, then it is not worth even worrying about when you are starting out, especially on something like a stout.

Secondly, I left the Gold Coast in QLD a while back now, but, if it has become anything like WA, a water report isn't going to do you any good. For example, where I live now in East Fremantle, on one day, my water might come from a dam, on another it might come from a bore and, on another day, it might come from the desalination plant. (In reality, each day is a blend but I can certainly taste it when the desalination plant is predominant.)

Thirdly, you have a bunch of excellent brewers in Brisbane. Unless times have changed a lot, you should be able to go to CraftBrewer and talk with the guys there and taste the beers. Ten years ago there, we didn't do any water adjustments brewing a heap of different styles, right near where you live. They were all excellent.

So, don't race into water adjustments unless your water does taste a bit wonky. If it is wonky, then sure, go for reverse osmosis and salts. But, don't get over-sold into water adjustments. If you are having problems with your beer, there are many other things to investigate first*.

If you do drop into CraftBrewer say hi from me ;),
PP

*For example, you have a plate chiller which is a mistake. (Don't worry, I bought one too - very expensive, used it twice and I won't sell it because I don't want any other brewer to inherit my errors!) Plate-chiller tells me you have other equipment that might be already causing you grief or will do. So, if you are not happy with your beer now, let us know and we'll find the problem and fix it. If your water tastes okay, then any problem you have now won't be fixed by water modification. Hope that makes sense?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 Apr 2016, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 2 years ago
As simple as can be in order to brew dark beers you don't need soft water. So as far your water is on the medium alkalinity range ~ 130-150 ppm hco3 you don't need to do much or probably nothing. In case your water is on the low range AKA soft water you need to compensate this because dark malts during mashing lead the mash ph to low (optimum ph levels are between 5.2-5.6 for mash ).If you can't find any reliable water report for your area you can test your water alkalinity with a cheap aquarium test (salifert brand is quite accurate) in order to get draft picture of the composition of your water and get you eventually at the ballpark.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J320FN μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Greece

Post #4 made 2 years ago
Thanks pistolpat and Nik! Ill check that thread out on the carbonation. The water seems normal here so Ill just leave it at that for now.

So pistol, what effect does the plate chiller have on the products quality? If I did a no chill on my next brew day, do you think I could tell the difference? Also, my other equipment you mentioned, would that be my immersion heater? Mine is a 2400w coil type, cost around 80-90 dollars. I really hope not since that is so convenient for me.
The only grief Ive had so far was a very vigorous ferment that bubbled out an airlock in the cooler box which I then went and bottled :roll: hehe, now I get an occasional bottle thats a wee little off. Otherwise been not unhappy about the brews apart from using bad receipes and/or not converting them properly(i.e not hitting the desired syle), which led me here in the first place :) My pale ales are more like amber ales, which aint a bad thing.

I might post a BiaBicus file in the conversion recipe thread if thats ok.

Oh and cheers Pistolpat for the headsup about craftbrewer. I have bought stuff off their online website before without realising that they were 1/2 an hour away :idiot: Though Im literally 2 mins away from quality homewbrew supplies and have been happy with their service so far but Ill check out craftbrewer, looks like they have a brew pub there, most definitely will have to check them out. Bacchus Brews. hehe, wish they had a courtesy bus.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me silly questions, hopefully theyll get a little better over time :drink:

Post #5 made 2 years ago
I think I wrote the post above just after surveying the sea of equipment I have bought over the years only to always return to simplicity. I'm just about to do a massive clear-out. At some stage in the future, you'll see some before and after pics of my place - lol.

So, don't get worried about my comments :). But always ask yourself, before you buy anything, "Will this equipment serve me or cost me?"*

I shouldn't have written a plate chiller is a mistake; I just found it really difficult and clumsy to manage - setting up, regulating flow, cleaning, sanitising etc. I definitely prefer my immersion chiller. Another difference between immersion chillers and plate/counter-flow chillers, is that the immersion chiller leaves the cold break in the kettle. It's not a worry though, having the cold break go through to the fermenter so there isn't really anything quality-wise to worry about.

I can't find where I even noticed you had a plate chiller? How did I know that? :)

No problems or worries with your immersion heater - sounds great!

I have been away from QLD for maybe a decade now so Bachus Brews wasn't there then or Quality Homebrew Supplies. In fact, Craftbrewer just operated from Ross's home which was on a few acres out the back of Logan. He always had ten beers on tap so our shopping visits were lots of fun! One day, a few of us were there and we used Ross's laptop to make the following post on the aussiehomebrewer forum which was a lot more active back then...

Hey Guys it's us, Bindi, PistoPatch and Screwtop. Ross is pouring us beers on the other side of the bar and he thinks we are using his laptop to buy stuff from Craftbrewer but we're really here just making frivolous posts under his name - don't tell him. Whoops! Bindi has just had his eight Ruination Ale and fallen on the floor. Have to go now and attach syphon hose from tap to Bindi's mouth - he keeps pointing at the tap and then his mouth. (Don't tell Mrs Bindi that he's still here. If she asks, he is still stuck in the same traffic he told her about 4 hrs ago. OK?) [Spelling errors fixed from the original. Typing that day was difficult ;).]

I'll go and check out your post in the recipe conversion thread now. And, by the way, your questions aren't silly at all - far from it.

:peace:,
PP

* After a while, you'll know that my other hobby, besides brewing, is writing long posts complaining about some bits of equipment :). One thing I really regret, for example, is putting taps on my kettles (I have two) - search for posts by me that include "kettle tap" - I've done lots of whingeing about them - lol. I'm now down to a simple racking cane - heaps less work :).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 May 2016, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #6 made 2 years ago
Oops! Forgot your no-chill question.

We did a side by side no-chill versus chilled brew day here maybe four years ago. Hold on, here's a post that will lead to other posts with more info.

On that particular test we couldn't taste a difference from memory. But, that is one test on one style. The post above that one I linked has a link to a podcast on chilling versus no-chilling. Once again though, from memory, those were hoppy beers. The results there were that some people noticed some cabbage flavours in the no-chill beer but most people didn't.

Don't forget that no chilling can be as much of a PITA as chilling. I do it if I double-batch; I syphon off and no-chill the first half of the wort (to be pitched several months later) and chill the remaining half and pitch immediately. If your goal is to pitch as soon as you can, I think active chilling is far easier than no-chilling which involves having to clean and sanitise a second vessel (the cube). I've done a few overnight passive chills (no chiller involved) just letting the wort cool in the kettle (and sometimes fermenter) and had no problems.

So, I don't think passive or no-chilling is anything to be scared of, it's just another tool that might be more convenient or practical in some situations.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 May 2016, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 2 years ago
Please excuse the three posts in a row. Thought I might just throw in a pic (had to take it as a panoramic shot) of a bit of my sea of equipment. Bear in mind that this pic does not show two fridges, two kettles two burners, RO system, another keg (there's 8 in the pic that you can't see) a few more cubes and some scales.

I'm looking forward to taking an "after" shot. I think I mentioned in a prior post, I hope my experience will save other brewers going down the same path. Btw, I live in a two bedroom unit :smoke:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #8 made 2 years ago
yikes, you need a garage sale haha.

My 1st BiaB was a no chills a few years ago and it seamed easy enough, I just had to wait even longer, I wanted to try a quick chill method so I can pitch on me brew day. I got really good water pressure here so I just blast that water through the chiller thats sitting in a little ice bath, with some water running though a bit of cloth in the drain and the tap replacing that water. Cleaning, well I havnt thought about that yet :sneak: maybe run some beerline cleaner through every few runs. Although with the flow out of the tap being like a fire hose I think that does a pretty good job as it is. Ill have to get some metal sanitizing stuff.
Hey Guys it's us, Bindi, PistoPatch and Screwtop. Ross is pouring us beers on the other side of the bar and he thinks we are using his laptop to buy stuff from Craftbrewer but we're really here just making frivolous posts under his name - don't tell him. Whoops! Bindi has just had his eight Ruination Ale and fallen on the floor. Have to go now and attach syphon hose from tap to Bindi's mouth - he keeps pointing at the tap and then his mouth. (Don't tell Mrs Bindi that he's still here. If she asks, he is still stuck in the same traffic he told her about 4 hrs ago. OK?) [Spelling errors fixed from the original. Typing that day was difficult ;).]
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :lol:
Last edited by littledingle on 01 May 2016, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests