Yeti's First BIAB

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I made my Bombay Punk IPA on saturday, my 1st BIAB.
I did all the measuring that was on the checklist and have filled in the details on the calculator as much as I can. I worked out my evap per hour was less than avg probably because I had the lid half on during the boil.
My efficiency figures seem way out as does my start of boil volume - could this be because i measured the volume at 79C?
Anyway I took a couple of photos when i wasnt too stressed lol.
I've tried to attach my calculator if anyone can check this for me please? Maybe give me a clue?
The Calculator - YetiBoy%27s Bombay Punk IPA.xls
The day was a little stressful because I was concentrating on that checklist which printed out at about font size 5! (note to oneself - get a magnifying glass!)
My ingredients.
Bombay Punk IPA (2).JPG
My adapted thermo probe cover (to stop bag catching)
IMG_0457.JPG

I was a little concerned about the cooled mash as it seemed to measure about 4.6 according to my ph papers?!

Can I really only put 3 attachments at a time in a post?
I had a few more of the insulated boiler, close up of ph paper, cooling coil etc but never mind:)

Cheers

Yets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by yetiboy on 29 Mar 2011, 04:32, edited 5 times in total.
On Tap: Pale Ale
Fining: Bombay/Punk IPA
Next Brew: Munich Helles
Planned: Doppelbock

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Oh go on then...... more pics:) - Nice sleeping bag eh? I did put a duvet on top of this and the temp didnt seem to drop at all over 90 mins? Is this possible?
Bombay Punk IPA (6).JPG
pH??? - the strips are 2 yrs old, maybe they are out of date now?
Bombay Punk IPA (8).JPG
bag in the bucket after pulling - you cant really see my clothes line pulley and rope (proper hi tech);)
Bombay Punk IPA (9).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by yetiboy on 29 Mar 2011, 04:39, edited 5 times in total.

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Well Done Yeti boy :clap: :clap: 1st one done eh ?? bring on #2.

How was your bag? I hope it worked ok.

As to photo attachments the best thing to do it upload them to photobucket or flicker. Then when you want to insert them into a post find the picture you want on say photobucket and copy the address out of the address bar. Paste it into your post then select it and hit the Img button. The picture will then appear in your post.

So come on get to it we want to see those pictures :shoot: :shoot:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Cheers Yeasty - the bag worked great, Im suitably impressed and so easy to clean up! I just rinsed it and threw it in the washing machine.
And my stitching stayed put which was nice.
I tried to take a pic of the boil but this happened.....
IMG_0466.JPG
The temp of mash....
Bombay Punk IPA (5).JPG
and cooling
Bombay Punk IPA (1).JPG
All in all a great day and hopefully a nice beer - my figures must be wrong somewhere along the line though, I'm not sure where? I measured 40L at the start of boil? Which would suggest that 5.4kg of grain absorbed 1.2L of water?
I think I may have to recalibrate my kettle - or get a long steel ruler.

I ordered a refractometer aswell hoping that I may get more accurate gravity measurements - the meniscus around where I live seems to be about 4mm high!

Yeti
Last edited by yetiboy on 29 Mar 2011, 05:07, edited 5 times in total.

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Top stuff yeti boy and some good pics to boot.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that having your lid 1/2 on wont change your evaporation rate. But it will save energy to maintain the boil. You need to be careful doing this because you do not want the condensate to drip back into the boiler. It can give off flavours to the finished beer.

Water expands 4% at 100°C, this needs to be taken into account when measuring hot wort.

Yes, it is very realistic to expect stable temperatures over the mash if you have good insulation.

All in all it sounds like a very successful 1st brew.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #6 made 8 years ago
As to the 1/2 on lid..

I float a stainless bowl on top of my wort. It gives me a better roll to the boil without any loss in evaporation.
Last edited by Yeasty on 29 Mar 2011, 05:31, edited 5 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Hey Yeasty - I bought a stainless bowl similar to yours, I will try it out at next brew day.
I'm planning a Munich Helles based on PP's Tettnang recipe:)

Post #9 made 8 years ago
Checked FG today (1.010) and started dropping temp ready for fining. Had to have a quick taste:)
Very promising indeed:) Loads of hop flavour - not tried these ones before and I like them.
I checked the brix with new refractometer - 6degrees and SG 1.023 I presume the measurement is useless as there is alcohol present?
Needed to try out the new shiney toy anyway lol

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests