Fermenting at too low a temp?

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Its getting cold now, overnight will reguarly below 0 degrees soon

If im not mitaken US-05 should ferment around 18 degrees for ales

1. What effect will the temp have on my ales if the temp of the wort drops to about 14-15 degrees?
2. Should i be considering heating options? (will leave the debate about heating options for another thread ;) )

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Firstly I'm no US-05 expert, however it should continue to ferment at the lower temps, just slower and more likely to stall, but should be even 'cleaner' in the ester department (if US-05 can get much cleaner?).

The thing that would worry me though is not so much the low temperatures, but the fluctuations. Inside a dead fridge it will be OK (I know it is), outside, less likely to remain stable and potentially more problematic.

I've heard of experiments with Nottingham and similar yeasts at lower temps for a 'faux lager', I'd expect that US-05 would do much the same, so I'd certainly try it.
Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Agree with Ralph, give it a go and see what happens.

I have successfully fermented with Nottingham as low as 10C (started fermenting at 16c then dropped to 10c over the next 24 hours). Sure it takes a few extra days to attenuate, but a very nice, clean drinking beer in the end.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Yeah US-05 is pretty tolerant. I'm pretty sure it even says on the pack it can go from 15 - 24?? I imagine it would just be a lot slower of a process, but should still have the same end result.
Experiment and let us know :D
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 7 years ago
I often purposely ferment US-05 at 15 degrees if I want a cleaner / more neutral beer. It is no problem at all. It's a pretty neutral and clean yeast anyway. Go for it RL ;).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 7 years ago
15-24C is the advertised temps range. I haven't used US-05 much, but of the 6 times I have 3 of them were fermented at 15C.

The other 3 times I pitched at 20C and it got as high as 23C. The lower temps are cleaner, but I have to say the hotter temps do pretty good also.

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest