Appropriate Mash Temperature

Post #1 made 8 years ago
G'day all,
I'm a new brewer to AG, and BIAB and am at a bit of a loss at what is the approprate temperature to target for mashing.
Most guides I have read specify a range, eg. 65C to 72C, with some commentary to indicate the higher or lower mash temperature provides a particular result with regard to sugar and colour extraction.

So, my question is, if it can be explained in a post, are there specific mash temperatures recommended for a particular style of beer or flavour, colour, etc outcome, and what may they be?

If it helps, in my limited experience I am brewing single malt , pale malt, single Hop, full volume beers (i.e. 5kg of grain resulting in 23l into the fermenter), at this stage.

Thanks in advance.
:|
Lemon
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Hi there Lemon and welcome to the forum :)

For a single infusion mash (the most commom method) I use a range of 62 C to 70C - I never go outside that range and rarely use 62 or 70. Here are two situations when I would use them...

Making a Pseudo-Lager using LloydieP's Krispy Kolsch Recipe

I'll often brew this recipe really low at 62 so as I get a very light-bodied and dry beer - a real quaffer this one :). Mashing this low also avoids the fruity flavours which I find a bit overwhelming in many kolschs.

Making a Very Low Alcohol Beer

If I want to brew a beer even as low as say 2.5% ABV, I will adjust the grain bill to give me the desired low AG and then mash at 70 C. The high temp mash gives me maximum body and lowest attenuation (highest Final Gravity). I will use the same hop bill as the original recipe so as to balance out the often sweeter flavour in a high temp mash.

Most beers that I enjoy I 'll do between 64 C to 66C - lagers, pilsners, pale ales, IPA's and schwartzbier I always brew within this range.

Sorry I can't be of much help. I'm not well-read on all the advanced chemistry stuff (and some of it can be quite contradictory) but have tasted enough beers with others to know that a few degrees off in mashing your beer will be indetectable to most people most of the time. The main thing I do is make sure the thermometer I use is accurate and steal all my recipes from well-written books or brewers I know who have a wonderful knack for coming up with great recipes.

Easy peasy! :)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 24 Sep 2010, 19:25, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Thanks PP,

I believe I've overshot a reasonable temp previously, so I'll give it a go around 64C - 66C.

I'll post how it goes.

Lemon
:D

Post #4 made 8 years ago
+1 for what PP said. 90% of my beers are mashed at 63-64C. I much prefer them to be on the dry side, rather than sweet.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #5 made 8 years ago
I'm a fan of really malty beers with hefty crystals so I'm usually rocking around 156 F for most of my beers. And yeah, I definitely agree with PistolPatch. I've made the same beer at 152 F and at 156 F and honestly it wasn't even really noticeable. Crystal and other specialty grains in your recipe formulation is a lot more determining in how sweet it is. I'm not really sure how much of a difference in ABV between the brews it made, both would get me pretty tanked after a pint or nine!

I feel that on lagers and really clean styles it is important, but on any normal ales it's not really that big of a deal. Certainly try to hit them accurately, but if you overshoot, nothing an extra quarter oz of hops can't fix :p !

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Brewday today was pretty successful. Hit my strike temperature 68C to aim for a mash temp of 65C. Which I achieved, even after 90 mins with 3-4 towels around the kettle.
My first attempt at a more complicated hopping schedule, i.e. more than 1 addition, I didn't stuff up.

And finally, I had enough wort to fill the cube!! Thanks to "The Calculator"
Efficiency calculates, for this brew only, at 79%

Woohoo!

Only a month before I can evaluate the results.

Lemon

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Good on you Lemon and thanks for letting us know how you went.

If using the 3 or 4 towels is annoying, remember you can just add some heat a few times during the mash while giving it a bit of a stir instead.

Sounds like all is working well though. Looking forward to your taste test :).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #8 made 8 years ago
when brewing my Belgian Blond (85% Pilsner), i do believe the mash temp is critical for getting the right fermentability and achieving the expected terminal gravity.
Last edited by shibolet on 03 Oct 2010, 20:16, edited 5 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #9 made 8 years ago
So,
my patience reached its limit and I had to try one of these tonight.......

Not yet sufficiently carbonated, not a great surprise there.

but seems very bitter, or sharp on the first taste, may have to adjust my dry hopping, don't seem to get a lot of aroma, but this bitterness, which from pervious experience seems to suggest, that I should BE MORE PATIENT AND LEAVE THEM LONGER!

Lemon

Post #10 made 8 years ago
Lemon wrote: from previous experience seems to suggest, that I should BE MORE PATIENT AND LEAVE THEM LONGER! Lemon
Ah, the bane of the home brewer. a good beer is like a good woman. They change with time and become more interesting, but men can't wait for either!
Last edited by BobBrews on 29 Oct 2010, 20:19, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests