Commercial Brew vs BIAB brew for *exact* same beer

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Thought this was an interesting linky
Well on Friday I knocked out a 12 barrel brew at work through the night 12 hour shift from start to finish and then on Sunday used the same grain bill, actually also the same grain, kettle finings, water, water treatment etc.... and did a brew in a bag (net curtain) in my 5 gallon burco 4 hours start to finish! exract rates slighty lower in BIAB to commercial but not far off high 80's as supposed to low 90's it will be interesting to taste the difference!!! Will keep you up to date!!!!
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 24&t=35561
Last edited by stux on 15 Nov 2010, 11:47, edited 5 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Pat wrote:That's a good link stux. I saw it in the beginning. What was the end result? (I never have time to catch up on these things :)).

Pat
All BIAB in bottles and small batch of commercial too, Not many miles apart! clarity colour and taste all very similar! Bitterness is pretty much equal at this stage, I'll give them a couple of weeks in the bottle before Blind tasting with a couple of mates!!!!!!
Matty then got very carried away with exclamation marks, he seemed very excited and proceeded to BIAB a bunch of complicated brews ;)
Last edited by stux on 15 Nov 2010, 22:40, edited 5 times in total.
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #5 made 7 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:So, was the end result good?
Yeah,

pretty much the BIAB and the commercial brews were hard to tell apart and the commercial brewer got very excited and has been BIABing up a storm ever since ;)
Last edited by stux on 31 Oct 2011, 15:27, edited 5 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Good on him :peace: and thanks for the update Stux.

I take my hat off to guys like him who are prepared to give full-volume, single vessel brewing a go. I started AG by batch-sparging in my one bedroom apartment. I hope I would have tried BIAB if I lived in a house but who knows :scratch:

Very pleased now that living in a one bedroom apartment forced me to do some investigation. In hindsight, I cant believe how difficult three vessel brewing was compared to BIAB :argh:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests