I brewed this today. So let's say you have a mash temperature of 62 deg C / 144 F (German Pils). Planned for a two-step mash with the first part for 50 minutes. Strike temp was 149 deg F. I was quick with the stirring and when done the temperature was 145.5 deg F. Wrapped the pot and at 5 min in temp on the pot was 144.0 deg F. At 25 min in temp was 143 deg F. At 55 min in temp was 141 deg F. (Seems like once the blankets and sleeping bags warmed up they helped to stabilize temp quite a bit.
At 55 minutes (5 min late) I pulled the blankets and sleeping bag, pulled the bag part way and fired up the burner... Was shooting for 40 minutes at 70 deg C / 158 deg F, but since running long by 5 minutes on the Beta Amylase step decided to cut the Alpha Amylase step by 5 minutes...so 35 minutes. At 70 min in was at 154 deg F. At 80 min in was 157 deg F and I decided that was close enough... Shut off the burner and wrapped the pot back up. At 90 minutes temp was at 154 deg F and I fired the burner back up for a Mash Out.
"Old Hands" - do you think a Mash Out really makes a difference? I've began to normally not do it, but did today. Online talk, seems like most don't think it makes much difference... Supposedly if doing a regular 3V sparge it reduces chance of getting a stuck sparge somehow... Other than discussion on the forum now about Rye, stuck sparge isn't much of an issue for us with BIAB.
I was shooting for 170 deg F but at 110 minutes in I turned off the burner at 167 deg F for 10 minutes. At 120 min in was at 164 deg F and I pulled the bag...
If doing a single infusion mash I will normally start a degree or two high of my target temp and then when the temp drops to a couple degrees low will reheat the wort again. Normally one reheating during the mash at around 40-45 minutes for a 90 minute mash.
For those with experience, how do you do this? Do you pay closer attention than I do to the temperature, less, or about the same...? I brew on the back porch and sometimes (like today) can have a decent amount of wind. Otherwise, no problem with wind. Managed to hit my forecast gravities right on, and volume too (don't know how that happened...normally am off a little, here or there).
I know that there is no problem, per se'...my LHBS manager would say it's fine. And it makes good beer (I'm not worried about it). But I wondered how the experienced people on this forum would manage this. People on this forum, as a whole seem to dial things in with a lot more precision than regular 3V Brewers on average. Should I be adjusting the temperature more often than I do to closer align the temperature? This is something I've been wondering for several months now, each time I brew and finally took the time to write it out. Let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance!
Post #1 made 2 years ago
- SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America