2nd hand Fridge

Post #1 made 6 years ago
I've just got my hands on a 2nd hand fridge :clap: :cool:
Now what to do with it ?. I think I'm going to add temperature control and make a brew fridge out of it. My reasoning being I think fermentation temperature control is more important than having a kegerator.

I'll post my progress as I go along.

:shoot:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 6 years ago
I think your reasoning is right Yeasty, ferment temp control is important.
I'm lucky in that I have a brew room that has very stable temperatures, so my second fridge is for kegs.
If we ever move from this house, things will be different.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #3 made 6 years ago
If you ever have 2 fridges for beer it's best to use the newest/most efficient as a keg/conditioning fridge and the older one as a fermentation chamber as it's much cheaper to run an old fridge at fermentation temps than at fridge temps
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Hey yeasty, I just posted here on what I did when I had the one fridge. Maybe that will trigger some possibilities?

If you need a second fridge consider eating take-away food for the rest of your life. This stops food wasting valuable beer refrigeration space :lol:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 08 Oct 2011, 22:47, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 6 years ago
Jesus PP!! I recon you could set up a brewery in a shoebox :lol:

I've just bought a Temp controller like this one here
Home Brewing industry standard issue so should have no problems. I'll pick up the rest of the bits from work.
I'll have to wait for the build until I've got back from Paris :sad: taking the old dear there for our anniversary... :love: :love: :love:

:thumbs:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 09 Oct 2011, 06:19, edited 5 times in total.

Post #9 made 6 years ago
Yeasty wrote:Jesus PP!! I recon you could set up a brewery in a shoebox :lol:

I've just bought a Temp controller like this one here
Home Brewing industry standard issue so should have no problems. I'll pick up the rest of the bits from work.
I'll have to wait for the build until I've got back from Paris :sad: taking the old dear there for our anniversary... :love: :love: :love:

:thumbs:
Yeasty
LOL! It looks like you are on the right track with your purchase and the links above will make things heaps easier. Not sure why you are taking your mother to Paris though :scratch:.

:lol:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 09 Oct 2011, 17:37, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #10 made 6 years ago
PistolPatch wrote: Not sure why you are taking your mother to Paris though :scratch:.
Sh#t :idiot: :idiot: The wife, I meant the wife :blush: :blush: :lol:
Serves me right I really shouldn't drink and post !!!

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 09 Oct 2011, 17:48, edited 5 times in total.

Post #11 made 6 years ago
Ha! As long as it wasn't a Freudian slip :? :lol:

Went to my sister's tonight as she and her husband are leaving for New Zealand tomorrow. My brother in law asked me to google, "Hooker," in New Zealand :shock: . I was quite relieved to hear he meant the town called, "Huka." :lol:

Give my love to your mum ;) and have a great time in Paris Yeasty :thumbs:

Post #12 made 6 years ago
Fridge is in the shed and set to work on a keg of ESB and a few bottles that are taking there time to drop clear after secondary fermentation. They should be ok in a week when I get back from my jolly. They'll then be evicted as the gear should be here for the conversion, with a bit of luck I'll have it done by the weekend as I'll be brewing :P
PistolPatch wrote:Give my love to your mum ;) and have a great time in Paris Yeasty :thumbs:
Cheers PP, mummy says hi :kisswink: . I'm looking forward to a nice bottle of wine or two :drink: I'll be staying clear of the beer as its very pricey in France, a mate of mine has been recently and paid 12euro for a guinness :idiot: :headhit: :idiot: .

:salute:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 10 Oct 2011, 03:03, edited 5 times in total.

Post #13 made 6 years ago
Well its 5 weeks since I scored the fridge, 4 weeks since paris and I still haven't put the brew fridge together. I'm starting to feel guilty so |I'm going to sort the temp controller tonight.

Post #15 made 6 years ago
hashie wrote:^ Maybe we need to start a confessional thread, to absolve us of our sins :)

Forgive me Father its been 3 weeks since my lasy brew.

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Yeasty on 12 Nov 2011, 05:29, edited 5 times in total.

Post #16 made 6 years ago
Piece of P..

I got the temp controller wired and tested last night, fitted it to the fridge this afternoon and its being put through the motions in the shed ready for tomorrows brew. Hopefully it will make a difference especially in the summer months ( :lol: :lol: :lol: summer ? UK,,)

Its in the shed cos SHMBO wouldn't have "that piece of crap" in the house. Her words not mine!

:peace:

Yeasty

Post #17 made 6 years ago
Yeasty wrote:SHMBO wouldn't have "that piece of crap" in the house.
Mate, put your foot down. That's just totally wrong that she won't let you in the house :angry:.

:lol:

Nice work on the wiring. Those things can be a PITA to wire. :thumbs:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Nov 2011, 08:12, edited 5 times in total.

Post #18 made 6 years ago
Brewed my Stout today, its all tucked up in the new brew fridge. I've got it at 17.5c overnight and I'll see what its at in the morning when I'll ramp it up to 18.5/19.

Here's a picture of it in the shed. I've got pic's of the build but I won't bore you with those unless you want me to. The shed by the way is going to be my brewery when I find a home for the mountain of crap that has somehow managed to find its way in there :blush:
I also rigged up a CCTV camera so I can see the controller from my PC :shoot: It will save me having to go out to the shed to check everything is working. :geek: :lol:

:salute:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 14 Nov 2011, 08:14, edited 5 times in total.

Post #19 made 6 years ago
I like your STC-1000 build :)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests