Blichmann False Bottom

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I'm a couple of BIABs in and starting to get the hang of it. My first attempt I didn't crush enough, my second attempt I had an issue getting the bag out and lost a lot of good wort. I just put up a pulley system in the garage and waiting on my Barley Crusher to arrive (both are attempts to bring my efficiency numbers up a bit to a consistent 70%)

So I'm thinking now about what a pain it is to lift the bag when I have to add heat to maintain my mash temp.

I have a Blichmann 15 Gal pot that I'm using for BIAB. Would adding the Blichmann false bottom to my pot mean that I could leave the bag in and light the burner underneath without fear of melting?

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/Fals ... BEFB15GAL/

It's made for mashing. Will it let enough water flow? Anybody see a problem (other than the $80 price tag)?

Post #4 made 7 years ago
I heat my mash with my Spiral Burner set to inferno, the trick is to have

1) a cake cooler under the bag and
2) continual mash agitation with a large potato masher or paint stirrer

I believe this is good for efficiency anyway :)

Actually, I don't use Inferno setting for mash steps/mashout anymore, but I have
cakerack_mashweapon.jpg
Mash Weapon and Cake Rack
cakerack.jpg
Don't forget to tie a string to the cake rack, its nigh on impossible to remove otherwise!!!
redhot.jpg
Check the back blast ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stux on 15 Nov 2011, 11:46, edited 4 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #5 made 7 years ago
That spiral burner is fierce. I love it. My simple 55k burner does the job, but doesn't make for cool photos like that.

It seems like the false bottom is overkill when a simple cake cooler will do the job just fine.

Thank you all for the advice. I hope to be answering more than I ask some day. :)

Post #6 made 7 years ago
stux wrote:Don't forget to tie a string to the cake rack, its nigh on impossible to remove otherwise!!!
Why not just leave it in? It shouldn't affect the boil? Couldn't you just worry about it when you're done and cleaning up?
Last edited by TopRowSeat on 15 Nov 2011, 12:49, edited 4 times in total.

Post #7 made 7 years ago
TopRowSeat wrote:
stux wrote:Don't forget to tie a string to the cake rack, its nigh on impossible to remove otherwise!!!
Why not just leave it in? It shouldn't affect the boil? Couldn't you just worry about it when you're done and cleaning up?
It affects the whirlpool

(yes, I didn't tie a piece of string to it the first time I used it ;))
Last edited by stux on 15 Nov 2011, 12:50, edited 4 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #8 made 6 years ago
Funny, I very recently asked the same question on another forum...but what I decided was to finally make a pulley system, which when I add heat I raise the bag to a pre-set height via to a cleat. I have photos for you to see.

I asked myself why the heck do I want to always throw out big money to solve something, this year I sold off some of my equipment to make it more simply on myself, so why add another piece of gear on the hot side of the process. KISS it.
Brewing with MS; https://goo.gl/photos/puZUgG8QRp7p8gLd9
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 3 guests