50 l keg litress to cm

Post #1 made 6 years ago
hi has anybody worked out litres to cm for a standard 50 l keg ( has 50 lb written in on side for volume ) i don't have the keg yet but just playing around with the calculator on the site
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achille's heel, if you will..........

Post #3 made 6 years ago
samuls, I think we need a bit more info on your question. I'm a bit lost but here's what I think you might have meant...

What I think you might have been asking is, "For every centimetre of depth in a 50 litre keg, how much water am I adding?"

If that is the question, then it's an impossible one to answer but there are ways around this. Lucky I have had an IPA as I am actually going to think this through :lol:.

The first thing to realise is that for any flat-bottomed, straight-sided vessel, the depth of the liquid can be easily determined and therefore, the volume can also be easily determined. I'm going to assume that everyone understands this.

The problem with kegs is two-fold...

1. Measuring the internal diameter accurately.

There are many ways to do this and we can come back to those if needs be. For now, let's concentrate on the real problem...

2. The Dead Space

Okay, a normal keg is either convex or concave at the bottom (doesn't really matter which) and the rest of the keg is usually straight-sided. So we have one of the following...
Keg Shapes.JPG
The grey area represents dead space.

Assuming that the rest of your keg is straight-sided as most kegs, except the old style, are, then all we have to worry about is the dead space.

Let's say your dead space is 5 litres...

With the keg on the left, things will be easy as you can measure your depth in the centre and then just add 5 litres.

The keg on the right will be not much harder. Just measure your depth, subtract the cms between the bottom of the 'dead space' and then add 5 litres.

I'd like to thank you for your question samuls but I'll get in trouble as I'm sure the guys working on the new calculator (the BIABacus) will now be trying to work out how to incorporate this.

LOL!
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Dec 2011, 19:17, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 6 years ago
On AHB someone once posted a "dipstick" gauge for a 50L keg.

This is basically a conversion from CM To L work out with commercial tank calibration software.

Lion Nathan Dipstick Chart
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... t&p=745403
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #5 made 6 years ago
+1 for a dipstick. The way I calibrated mine was to weigh out water in 2 litre amounts. 1 litre of water equals 1 kg. For every 2 L I put in the keggle I measured it with a 600mm rule then wrote down the measurement on a piece of paper, once I measured out the full amount and had all the measurements I then transferred them onto my dipstick. I tried to keep the water around 20 deg for calibration.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/i] Homer Simpson K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/b]

Post #6 made 6 years ago
Hi thanks for every one input got the keg a couple of days again so out with the angle grinder . PP I feel a bit stupid after reading your answer .

Post #7 made 6 years ago
LOL! Hope I interpreted the question right. Looks like I got the first pic wrong but hopefully anyone will get the idea :).

Good luck with the grinding samuls :thumbs:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 6 years ago
Righto I've gone for the dipstick measured out the water and marked out level on the racking cane all the way up to 45l . did a bit off a test run today just with water to get a bit of a rough idea on water evaporation ect ect . Is there some formula or something i can use to calculate back to my 20 degrees calibrated dipstick after boiling or mashing to get a accurate read ..

Post #9 made 6 years ago
There is about 4% less at 20 degrees C. For example if you had 25 litres at boiling you can work it out as 2x .04 which would give you 1. Therefore 25 - 1 gives you 24 litres at 20 deg. C.
Hope this helps
"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/i] Homer Simpson K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/b]

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests