harvesting yeast from bottom of keg

Post #1 made 8 years ago
i brewed a Belgian style beer about two month ago. unfortunately i did not harvest and keep any yeast after fermentation and liquid yeast is very hard to come by around here.
the beer was kegged and kept refrigerated since.

do you think i can harvest the dregs at the bottom of the keg and grow them up on a stir plate?
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Hi Shibolet

I can't see why not, its just the same as collecting yeast from the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer.
Are you drinking it now and near the end? or have you a while to wait until its finished?
I'm asking because I was thinking how you could get a sample of yeast if you were yet to finish the keg.
You could give it a shake and pour a sample into a sanatised vessel and leave to settle. The down side is you'll hav to wait for your beer to clear again :evil:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 8 years ago
i am in fact very near the end of the keg.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Hi Shib

If your near the end I'd wait until its all gone so :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
I would then use a yeast recovery/washing tecnique as if you were recovering some yeast from FV slurry.

:luck:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 8 years ago
This is a really interesting and original topic shib :peace:. I have never seen it posted anywhere before so good on you :thumbs:.

I can see a lot of advantages to this for several brewers. For example, there might be some beers you like to brew but drink very slowly over 6 to 12 months. These brews might have required an expensive liquid yeast. Maintaining a yeast for this length of time with other methods is a PITA. Building it up from the remains of your keg is really worth investigating.

Some random thoughts...

I suspect that you will be 'harvesting' the most viable yeast.
I would 'harvest' the yeast using chilled, boiled water.
Not too sure how much you will get and how much stepping up it would need?

I think you may be on to a revolutionary method of yeast harvesting shib. Love your idea and I can't see any obvious holes in it.

:champ:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 1 guest