Bag size maths help and voile supplier for the uk

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Okies for my second post I need some help working out bag size and a good uk supplier for voile unless some sells bags or custom to order bags ?
My pan measurements are as follows
19 litre total water capacity
Top width 30cm
Bottom width 28.5 cm
Height 25.5cm

I was told you could just lay a flat square of cloth rather than making a bag then following it up ....
Anyone any ideas if this would work.
And finally a bottom protector for the bag would a upside down cake tin work with holes drilled in it ?

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Hi Sbond10,

I'm in the UK and got my voile from Dunelm Mill, I think 2 meters length x 1 meter wide was less than £4.
I made my own bag with this and have done 2 brews with it so far with no problems.

Post #6 made 6 years ago
There is also a Mill shop in Bolton that has shed loads of the stuff. Let me know if you are interested and I'll sort out the address/directions.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 6 years ago
Sbond10 wrote:I have a dunelm mill me too I was just looking at using a simple circle rather an actual bag as I can't sew ....
One big rectangle, fold in half long ways and sew up each side..job done Make it big enough so that your pot will fit in the bag and you won't go wrong. Get that sewing machine out man its easy. :lol:
Last edited by Yeasty on 14 Dec 2012, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 6 years ago
Yeasty wrote:There is also a Mill shop in Bolton that has shed loads of the stuff. Let me know if you are interested and I'll sort out the address/directions.

Yeasty
I would do yeasty but don't have a car
And how much material do I need if I do make an actual bag ? And I only have a needle and thread but I remember theirs a dress maker / alterations shop in my local market so I may ask them to do it what kind of stitch should it be ?
Last edited by Sbond10 on 15 Dec 2012, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 6 years ago
There is a thread Here that explains the design process. When I bought mine I just got 2 sq metres which was plenty. Left overs can be used for hop socks, and improvised filters.

A large square/circle does work and lots of guys use that method, the downside is you have to be careful that you gather all the edges as if one gets away from you your grain will spill out.

As you are electric its wise to have a barrier to keep your bag off the element, NOTE : use caution if applying heat with your bag in place, its best to stir whilst heating just in case.
A cake rake bent to fit is a good method, you need something that will allow a good flow of liquid, perhaps some electric guys will chip in with ideas. I use gas and just stir if heating, some guys with pulleys lift there bag to keep it clear of the bottom.

:luck:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 15 Dec 2012, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 6 years ago
Sbond10 wrote:I'm on a gas stove ... Just thought you needed something to stop the bag burning on the bottom. Ill go look at that thread see what I can come up with.
oops sorry mate..I saw the 19L capacity and wrongly assumed that it was an urn..

If your gas don't bother with anything, I used to have a rack but it was just more hassle so I just use it when draining the bag (fits over a FV nice). Just stir when heating and it will be fine.
Last edited by Yeasty on 15 Dec 2012, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.

Post #14 made 6 years ago
im in northampton, uk,
i used the fabric warehouse, voil was £2 a sq metre,

i used 1 metre sq and bungee straps...

i dont see much point in making a bag... :?

i pushed the voile down into the pot, worked a treat

i did use a strainer in the bottom, but prob wont bother next brew... :think:
Last edited by uk brewer on 15 Dec 2012, 05:11, edited 3 times in total.

Post #15 made 6 years ago
Hi there Sbond and welcome to the forum :peace:,

If you are working on the third design in the BIABrewer thread here then you need two pieces of material sewn together with each piece having a top of about 54 cms, a height of 35cm and a base of 32cms. You'll need to allow extra for the seams so maybe add another cm or so to all the above.

What you can do to test it before you sew, is pin the two shapes together and then put about 2kgs of uncracked grain in a large plastic bag. Put that in the pinned bag and then put all that into your kettle. If it fits okay with no bits being under pressure, then you should be good to go.

Let us know if the numbers above work for you.

:luck:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 Dec 2012, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #17 made 6 years ago
I think maybe just keep things simple to start with Sbond...

1. Buy 1 square meter of the voille. (that's probably double what you need).

2. Stuff the material into your pot and throw some weights in the pot to keep the material nicely in contact with the bottom. (A large saucepan lid will do this nicely.)

3. Adjust the material so that it overhangs the kettle by about 15 cm and then scissor the excess material off at the 15 cm mark. That's your finished bag.

On brew day, you'll need some elastic or a bungee cord. You'll need this to tie around the outside of the kettle to hold the material in place just like the string has been used in this pic. So, now you'll have material lining the inside of your kettle and secured on the outside with elastic. (You can use bulldog clips or wooden clothes pegs instead of elastic or bungee if you like.)

Also...

- Make sure you have some thick rubber gloves as this type of bag set-up ia pretty hands on :P.

- Anytime you apply heat to your kettle, make sure you agitate the mash (keep it moving).

- For a mash paddle, don't use a wooden fork. Just use your potato masher. It makes the perfect mash paddle when jiggled up and down.

Is that any easier Sbond?

Fingers crossed!
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 Dec 2012, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #18 made 6 years ago
Much easier thank you it was all getting far to confusing I thought about bulldog clips but then you couldn't get the lid all the way down unless you put um on handle so I'm off to get a metre squared of fabric and weigh it down with the few kilos of flours I have in cupboard

Post #19 made 5 years ago
I used the cheapest net curtain fabric from my local fabric shop and it was something like £1:30 a metre. I bought 3 meters and my wife made up a couple of bags one of which I use as a hop sock. Where the wire would go if it was a curtain I have nylon cord threaded which I use as a drawstring and to hang the bag.
Regards

Nic

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests