Re: My Current equipment and process. 1st BIAB outcome etc.

Post #26 made 2 months ago
I just wanted to say, I'm still about and still brewing. Brewed my 8th BIAB yesterday, in the form of a Patersbier, and still getting excellent efficiency, allowing me to use less grain and get more beer into FV. The Patersbier I used 4k of Dingemans Pilsen malt, and got 23 litres of wort into the FV with an OG of 1.046. :peace: Using Maris Otter malt I get even better efficiency, as an example I brewed a golden ale with 3.6k of Maris Otter and 100g of Crystal malt, and got 21 litres into FV with an OG of 1.050.
TheWatchAle.jpg
Oh, and switching to whole hops worked a treat! No blocking during transfer, and after about a litre into the FV the wort runs clear. A bonus, I'm getting more wort out of the boiler and into the FV, losing only around 500mls to the trub. A heck of a mess left in the bottom of the boiler though, but better there than in the FV...
trub.jpg
I've purchased a large, 300 micron, hop bag for when I really need to use pellet hops, and will make sure to still use mainly whole hops with them, in order to form a filter bed on the bazooka.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Re: My Current equipment and process. 1st BIAB outcome etc.

Post #27 made 1 month ago
Well, of course the journey has continued, with me refining my process and making tweaks. I can get clearer beer now for one, this is a pic of a English style golden ale I made (a fuggles/maris otter smash in fact, delicious!):-
GlodenGlowPint3.jpg
I got 76.3% EIF on that one.

I made some alterations to my equipment though, fitting a recirculation pump to my mash tun/boiler.
ModifiedOutlet1s.jpg
AlteredFitteds.jpg
Mashings.jpg
It made for very fast and effective cooling when the outlet was placed inside my immersion chiller, dropping from boiling to 15 degrees C in about 25 minutes. Uhm yeah, I was aiming for 18 degrees C though... Warmed it back up a bit to 17 degrees C and pitched at that... :whistle:
overshotpitching.jpg
I didn't stir my mash at all (other than when I doughed in) relying on the recirculation instead. My software (sorry guys, I was brewing a Braggot, and BIABacus really struggled with it, I had to use it to just double check numbers) gave me a mash efficiency of 90.7%, and a brewhouse efficiency of 87.98% (that one is probably so high thanks to the 2.27 kilos of honey that went into it... lol). So yeah, it was a very effective improvement. :peace: Don't worry folks, next brew I'll be back to using BIABacus fully as it'll be a dry stout that I've already constructed using it. :salute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Re: My Current equipment and process. 1st BIAB outcome etc.

Post #29 made 1 week ago
My pleasure bud. :peace:

I did a 2nd brew on the 29/3, this time with no honey or simple sugars, just grain. Another hoppy Saison (our favourite style to date). My target OG was 1.047, I ended up with an OG of 1.050 and an EIF (according to BIABacus) of 90.6%. The only stirring I did was whilst doughing in. Oh, and I had crystal clear wort going into the boil, so yeah I am very happy with the re-circulation mashing. Oh and (sorry guys, I'm about to use the s word...) it massively improved my ... sparge... too, crystal clear runnings with a higher SG than I was getting with dunk and rinse sparging. Sorry folks, I know that's a rude word on here, but it allows me to get 23 litres into FV with my boiler, with good efficiency numbers too. Especially when I'm brewing with a slightly larger grain bill. I've been diluting in the FV too (the GAW was 1.058, and the dilution was planned in BIABacus). I'd love a larger boiler, but that's not going to happen any time soon sadly.

Made some more tweaks today though. Fitted a T piece return to the lid to use whilst mashing, as the "jet" return sits too low in the boiler and made it hard to fit the steamer insert under it.
MashingT1.jpg
So I'll use this when mashing, and the "jet" when cooling the wort after boiling (it'll go in at the same time as the wort chiller, so they both get a good boiling to kill anything on them).

I also modified how I attach the pump to the boiler, so now it attached using quick disconnects, directly onto the tap.
Pump2s.jpg
Looks nice and tidy, and I'm happier with the pump better supported.

TweakedS.jpg
Disconnects for cleaning super quickly, thanks to the quick disconnects.

All that's left to do now: put some heat shrink on that power connector (wibble!), leak test it, try it out on a brew again. Seriously reduce the work I have to do on brew days now though, and gotta love that lovely clear wort going into the boil....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AdeDunn on 07 Apr 2018, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain
Post Reply

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests

cron